changing a Midi instrument

18duffs

HI Gang, I have looked all over the net and can't find an answer to this one, and was hoping someone could help 

ok here goes, 
on track #1 I went in and recorded a very simple midi piano line on the Virtual Electric Piano VSTI included with cakewalk 
I then thought to myself , hey I wonder how this piano line would sound as a bass.. 
and this is where I am stuck,
all I want to do is keep the midi information I recorded on track 1 as is, but change from the Virtual Electric Piano VSTI to the Studio Instruments Bass 
so I can hear my piano part being played as a bass line. 
I'm sure its a super easy thing to do, and im just overlooking something, but I'll be dammed if I can figure out how 
anyone have a  suggestion 
thanks in advance 
Derek 

image.thumb.png.a7ac71db722ff28c255d30eba97e30f6.png

from the Manual: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=SoftSynths.04.html#:~:text=Click the PlugIns tab followed,on the pop-up menu.

Hope this is what you are trying to do. It you have a simple instrument track (Midi and instrument combined) you should be able to right click on the track and then select "replace synth" to pick a new one.

Another option is to duplicate your midi to a new midi track, insert a new synth and then point midi track to the new instrument.

Edited by reginaldStjohn
  • Great Idea 1

35 minutes ago, reginaldStjohn said:

image.thumb.png.a7ac71db722ff28c255d30eba97e30f6.png

from the Manual: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=SoftSynths.04.html#:~:text=Click the PlugIns tab followed,on the pop-up menu.

Hope this is what you are trying to do. It you have a simple instrument track (Midi and instrument combined) you should be able to right click on the track and then select "replace synth" to pick a new one.

Another option is to duplicate your midi to a new midi track, insert a new synth and then point midi track to the new instrument.

thank you so much 
Im at work but will definitely give this a go when I get home 
thank you !!! 

46 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

add a bass VI (like the SI Bass 🙂 ) and point the MIDI track output to the bass VI and  the output of that VI audio track to your master.

thank you Glen ! 

slightly different problem for me regarding midi- I have a roland sonic cell connected to laptop via usb. All works great and I love cakewalk bandlab. 

I have one midi file that when I open it, and before playing it,  something changes the user preset on the sonic cell  to user preset 66 (there are only 64) and I cannot find how it does it as there is no sysx data and as far as I can see no controller 0 or controller 32 messages in track events, This is driving me absolutely crazy!!!!!!!! 

Any ideas or thoughts?

17 hours ago, bigpeekay said:

slightly different problem for me regarding midi- I have a roland sonic cell connected to laptop via usb. All works great and I love cakewalk bandlab. 

I have one midi file that when I open it, and before playing it,  something changes the user preset on the sonic cell  to user preset 66 (there are only 64) and I cannot find how it does it as there is no sysx data and as far as I can see no controller 0 or controller 32 messages in track events, This is driving me absolutely crazy!!!!!!!! 

Any ideas or thoughts?

Hi bigpeekay and welcome to the Cakewalk forums.

You might want to start a new thread for this question.  Maybe in the instruments forum would be the best place:  https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/7-instruments-effects/

Kind regards,

tecknot

• Like 1