see signal on VU meters and record

I found a  used iTrack Solo Interface (Focusrite) from Sam Ash for $45. This clean, sweet, little box does everything it's supposed to do. Email support was fast, courteous, and technically right on.  I am plugged in and rockin' with guitar and keyboards. No latency issues at all.

The MidiPlus Smartface II I bought earlier this week ($38)  is going back to Amazon tomorrow. Although they tried, Hung Lee and his Asian friends couldn't get the download links to work for me.

Is this thread good enough, or should it go somewhere else for others to find? We've come so far from the original title I posted.

• Like 3

On 5/21/2023 at 11:42 PM, Robert Hale said:

I was recently able to record a live guitar track, but I can't remember what the settings were, so I'm not able to reproduce it again. I  have opened a new project hoping to have default, un-altered settings. I have carefully followed forum suggestions (thank you, Lord Tim), and googled a number of terms to learn what they are doing. I deleted all ASIO and ASIO4ALL, and have selected WASAPI SHARED at 41,000. Cakewalk is confirmed up to date. I've been all through the EDIT>PREFERENCES looking for something  to complete the signal path.

I can hear my incoming instrument (acoustic guitar with  Fishman  pickup) with headphones  using the DIRECT switch on the Behringer UM2. But I don't see the level on the channel VU meters and it does not record. I want to hear track  1 played back while I record track 2.  (Not too much to ask, right?)

What I am missing? Thank you,  forum members.

Asio4All should work just fine with the Behringer UM2. My 14 year old son run the same setup daily and has no issues with Asio4all have you armed the track in Cakewalk? Is the track selected/highlighted? Click on the number to bring the track to focus and make sure that your echo input is selected. Once you arm your track for recordring, you should than see your meter information. 

Edited by Will.
  • Thanks 1

@Robert Hale From reading through you seem to have achieved your objective with buy a better class of interface. 

Unfortunately certain aspects of this thread have dragged it into one of the many rabbit holes that the internet has.  Please restrict your question to single threads, mutli threads on the same topic kind of breaches the forum rules you agreed to when you signed up.

Thanks.