Plugin Recycle Forced -Is This Common on Windows10 [Almost Solved]

Keni

OK... This has been bothering me...

Since moving to this windows 10 system.

When I open a plugin. The Pin button is already lit and if I open a second plugin, the first closes and the second opens (again with Pin button lit). Almost exactly what I would expect if the Recycle Plugins option is enabled in Preferences, but it is not enabled.

I have tried enabling and disabling it many times as well as attempting to get the Pin button to actually do anything, but such is not the case. Nothing I do changes the fact that only one plugin can be open at a time right now...

Is this accepted on windows 10 or is something wrong here?

Thanks...

Edited by Keni

Just now, Patrick Wichrowski said:

In my Windows 10 laptop works as in my Windows 7 desktop.

Thanks Patrick...

So it's obviously something weird here on this installation. Works fine on my win8.1 DAW...

Maybe someone will have an idea what might cause such an occurrence?

Just discovered another related piece of info...

This is only happening on secondary monitor! I can have as many open as I choose on the primary monitor, but the seconday will only display one at a time. What's with that? What setting and where might this be adjusted? They are identical monitors...

AHA!

Different issue than I was thinking...

What's happening is the plugins are correctly opening and visible on both monitors, but on the secondary monitor, as I open a plugin, any other plugin get forced behind the console image which I use zoomed to full screen. So I didn't know they were still open...

So now my issue has become, how do I stop cakewalk from moving the open plugins to the back when I open additional plugins on my console screen???

The "recycle" problem was happening to me until I did this:

1. Open the Help module. You can do this quickly by pressing the "y" key.

2. Click anywhere in the Console pane. Multiple FX windows will now be allowed to display at the same time in the Console pane if you have the Pin button enabled.

3. If you don't want to have the Help module in the way, open the browser (press "b") and then dock the help module in the browser pane. Hide the browser by pressing "b" again.

In my system, I have never seen the "recycling" problem as long as the Help module is open, even if it is not visible, docked in the hidden browser pane. This has worked through all versions of CbB ever since I discovered it a couple of years ago.

Please try it and see if it works on your machine. Of course, the ideal solution is to have the problem actually fixed, but to me this is an easy workaround that I can set and forget.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tim Elmore said:

2. Click anywhere in the Console pane. Multiple FX windows will now be allowed to display at the same time in the Console pane if you have the Pin button enabled.

3. If you don't want to have the Help module in the way, open the browser (press "b") and then dock the help module in the browser pane. Hide the browser by pressing "b" again.

In my system, I have never seen the "recycling" problem as long as the Help module is open, even if it is not visible, docked in the hidden browser pane. This has worked through all versions of CbB ever since I discovered it a couple of years ago.

Please try it and see if it works on your machine. Of course, the ideal solution is to have the problem actually fixed, but to me this is an easy workaround that I can set and forget.

Now that sounds strange but I’m off to try it in a moment. If it works it’s an easy workaround for now certainly. Thanks. Here i go

1 hour ago, Tim Elmore said:

yup! That solves the problem for now. I never knew of this issue as it's my first DAW with dual monitors

Thanks again!

Edited by Keni

As you pointed out, Keni, the actual problem is that plug-ins get put in back of the console and are still open, but hidden by the console display, which is on top of them. Somehow, having the Help module active, even if hidden, gives the plugins the ability to stay on top. Strange indeed!

12 hours ago, Tim Elmore said:

Makes no sense, but wow. Had the same problem. When I’d reopen a project, I’d see multiple plugin windows open on my second monitor before the console view I keep there would quickly open next. Who knew? Thanks! 

3 hours ago, Tim Elmore said:

As you pointed out, Keni, the actual problem is that plug-ins get put in back of the console and are still open, but hidden by the console display, which is on top of them. Somehow, having the Help module active, even if hidden, gives the plugins the ability to stay on top. Strange indeed!

Very true Tim...

When it is finally fixed,  I’d be very curious to know what little tick caused this issue.

Maybe a matter of setting these up much like layers in a photo composite. The ability to establish which items are on top of which. Adding something like that to the console floating or docked to establish such relativities?

I imagine someone has reported it formally already, yes ?

Edited by Keni

18 minutes ago, Tim Elmore said:

Keni: Thanks for the reminder. I just now reported it to Cakewalk Support.

Excellent! I wouldn’t be too surprised if they are somewhat unknowing of this.

The response I received from Cakewalk Support suggested these two workarounds:

(1) Leave the Console docked (in the Multi-Dock).

(2) Disable Floating for the Console window.

For Option (1) to work, the Multi-Dock itself must be docked in the main Cakewalk window. But this prevents freedom to move and size the the console as desired.

Option (2) prevents the console from being freely moved and sized outside the Cakewalk main window.

I prefer the simple workaround outlined earlier:

1. Leave the Help module active (not closed).

2. If desired, dock the Help module in the Browser, out of the way.

3. If desired, hide the Browser, with the Help module still docked within it (press "b").

Plug-in panels will then remain on top of the console, even when the console has focus. The console can be still moved and sized completely as desired. It is an easy workaround, but not at all obvious.

I wrote back, mentioning that this has been frustrating to other users, and requested that either the problem be fixed or that the instructions be amended to reveal the above workaround that uses the Help module.

I hope this discussion has helped.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Tim Elmore said:

For Option (1) to work, the Multi-Dock itself must be docked in the main Cakewalk window. But this prevents freedom to move and size the the console as desired.

Option (2) prevents the console from being freely moved and sized outside the Cakewalk main window.

3. If desired, hide the Browser, with the Help module still docked within it (press "b").

Plug-in panels will then remain on top of the console, even when the console has focus. The console can be still moved and sized completely as desired. It is an easy workaround, but not at all obvious.

I wrote back, mentioning that this has been frustrating to other users, and requested that either the problem be fixed or that the instructions be amended to reveal the above workaround that uses the Help module.

Thanks for the attempt.  Surprised by the response. Did they say ‘until we get it fixed’?

2 hours ago, Tim Elmore said:

Ah... At last I can reply again. Don't know what that burp was...

Your solution solves the problem.  Not as elegantly as I wish (I don't normally have even the collapsed browser visible). Their' two suggestions were quite poor. Of course there's no problem when you don't use some functions that aren't getting along... That's not a solution. That's a claim of limitation to me...

It sounds almost as if they are creating this response to avoid dealing with it.....?

Here's hoping they will think about it now that it's been openly discussed and do a proper fix...