Assigning my own sound to play on a MIDI track

Ethan

Question

Hi folks, pretty new to music production and Cakewalk.

I have figured out how to add instrument tracks like Cakewalk TTS-1 or SI-Bass Guitar and then draw MIDI notes in the piano roll. However, instead of hearing Cakewalk TTS-1 or SI-Bass Guitar when the MIDI notes play, I instead when to assign my own wav file to play. How do I do this?

I've been searching YouTube and forums for a couple hours now with no success, so figured I'd make an account here to ask.

Edited by Ethan

9 answers to this question

Glad to hear ADSR Sample Manager helps.  There are others--Google "Best Sampler Plugins" or "Best Free Sampler Plug-ins."  I've seen people mention the TX16Wx software sampler.  I tried it, but I don't really use sampler plug-ins very much. 

FYI: "X16Wx Software Sampler can load samples in WAV, AIFF, Ogg, and FLAC formats. The plugin can also load SoundFonts, SFZ, Akai, and EXS format presets." 

Also, there are several threads in the forum dedicated to free plug-ins, free sample libraries, etc.  I couldn't find them, but I know others here have mentioned various samplers.  Of course, if the ADSR Sample Manager meets your needs, you probably don't need to be a plug-in collector.

Thanks for the recommendation, just installed and played around with it.

However, I realize now that I wasn't clear enough in my original post. As far as I can tell, this sampler is similar to Sitala in that it assigns one sample to one MIDI note. Instead, I want each MIDI note to play the same sound but at different pitches. So a C5 should play my sound at the pitch C5, a C4 should play my sound at a C4, etc. ADSR is able to do this but distorts the hell out of my sound when I stray too far from its original pitch.

1 hour ago, Ethan said:

I want each MIDI note to play the same sound but at different pitches. So a C5 should play my sound at the pitch C5, a C4 should play my sound at a C4, etc. ADSR is able to do this but distorts the hell out of my sound when I stray too far from its original pitch.

I am familiar with some hardware samplers and some software versions of hardware samplers.  All of the samplers I am familiar with use what are called "multisamples" where different samples are used across a larger range. I am not sure if there are samplers (or other plug-ins) that will alter the pitch without changing the frequency of the audio.  Maybe someone else knows. 

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos

2 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

All of the samplers I am familiar with use what are called "multisamples" where different samples are used across a larger range.

52 minutes ago, gustabo said:

They will all do that, you can’t build off just one sample.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Since the sound I'm trying to use sounds like a synth, I will look for a synth plugin and try to approximate it as best I can.

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

NI Kontakt (full version) is really good at speading samples across the playable range while simultaneously using FFT to time stretch.

But most instruments (with non-constant timbre) need to be multi-sampled at minimum  about every 4th or 5th semitone to be even marginally useful. But synth waveforms are usually easy to pitch and time correct without too many artifacts. 

• Like 2