Recording With effects and Without Latency

T on Y

Watched a 'Creative Sauce' you tube video on this topic

Can this be applied to 'Guitar Rig'

I assume that there would have to be a 'Global' wet/dry mix option but havent found it yet

Or ..... can this be done some other way ?

Edited by T on Y
  • Thanks 1

This technique will work fine for any tempo based effect (reverb, delay etc) as the final signal is a mix of the original signal + the latency delayed signal from the vst. In a reverb or delay effect, where the signal is being delayed anyway as part of the effect, the impact of the latency delay may not be noticeable.

If you were using an overdrive effect for example, then the final signal would be a mix of the original signal  + the delayed overdriven sound - which may not be what you want.

On 4/20/2023 at 1:50 AM, T on Y said:

Watched a 'Creative Sauce' you tube video on this topic

Can this be applied to 'Guitar Rig'

I assume that there would have to be a 'Global' wet/dry mix option but havent found it yet

Or ..... can this be done some other way ?

Thanks. I'm going to check that out.

On 4/20/2023 at 3:13 AM, Matthew Carr said:

This technique will work fine for any tempo based effect (reverb, delay etc) as the final signal is a mix of the original signal + the latency delayed signal from the vst. In a reverb or delay effect, where the signal is being delayed anyway as part of the effect, the impact of the latency delay may not be noticeable.

If you were using an overdrive effect for example, then the final signal would be a mix of the original signal  + the delayed overdriven sound - which may not be what you want.

exactly - if you are using the direct monitoring on the IO so there latency for the vocalist (e.g.) the latency on the round trip to the reverb would likely not be impactful since the full effect of its only really after the voice signal stops. but on effects being played directly (e.g. a guitar solo) which need to be heard, then you're almost always going to hear the latency. one option is to use hardware effects for the player, record both wet and dry versions, re-amp if needed. i also tend to mix down a 2-track and create a separate project for vox and solos anyways - then there is very little overhead so latency (on my current setup) can be < 5ms round trip with many effects.