Speed of NAS?

Keni

Hi Gang...

A thought just occurred to me and though it's a long shot, I'd like to ask...

If I have network attached storage (via ethernet wired) might it be faster than an external usb3 SSD?

Apple! What were you thinking???

<sigh>

If your Enet is running at 100M or better, you should be fine to store projects, etc. on it. Saves & autobackups may take a second more, especially is the NAS is caught off guard or asleep. I used to do it in ProTools all the time, but that was before VSTs became a thing.

I'd be a little wary of trying to load VSTi samples DFD from anything that is not directly on the machine be it NVME, SATA, or USB. If you have plenty of RAM then you should be fine.

Edited by OutrageProductions

37 minutes ago, OutrageProductions said:

If your Enet is running at 100M or better, you should be fine to store projects, etc. on it. Saves & autobackups may take a second more, especially is the NAS is caught off guard or asleep. I used to do it in ProTools all the time, but that was before VSTs became a thing.

I'd be a little wary of trying to load VSTi samples DFD from anything that is not directly on the machine be it NVME, SATA, or USB. If you have plenty of RAM then you should be fine.

Thanks...

I was pretty sure NAS is too slow as well. I’m desperately trying to solve the hard drive dilemma of this Mac Trashcan. A single 1TB internal drive dual partitioned for mac/win... Only connections on it are Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3... I currently have 2 SSDs connected via usb3. One dedicated to audio and the other to sample libraries. I originally believed the TB2 pirts at 20GB/s would suffice but I’ve since learned that the 20GB/s only yields about 5GB/s for drive throughput. Extremely disheartening as well as misleading making it only as fast (approx) as the usb3...

It's working just fine but a couple of days back i noticed the system doing some chugging on a full project with near 24 tracks of assorted plugins when I unfroze and edited some Superior Drummer tracks...

The machine is maxed out from apple with a 12core Xeon and 128GB RAM with dual 37” Apple cinema 4k monitors... Win10 bound...

...almost forgot. Network is 1G

Edited by Keni

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

If you want really fast network storage, you're gonna be spending about the same price of that Mac if not more.

That too...

But I'm sitting ok now. With my audio streaming from a TB2 connected SSD and my sample libraries on a USB3.1 SSD I'm seeing good response...