Song Association Game :D

Notes_Norton

Here's my chance to post what this thread has been crying out for, a folk song about herring fishing.

Back in 1960 Ewan MacColl was involved in a series of "Radio Ballads" . The radio ballads were the joint creation of Ewan MacColl, Charles Parker and Peggy Seeger. 

A radio ballad is a sound-tapestry woven of four basic elements: songs, instrumental music, sound effects and the recorded voices of those with whose lives each program deals.

One of these radio ballads was "Singing the Fishing" about the rise and decline of the herring industry on the east coast of Scotland and East Anglia (Great Yarmouth in particular). My great grandfather was a herring fisherman from Great Yarmouth, and I have many fisherman and other mariners in my ancestry.

Here's one of the songs that Ewan wrote for the program:

Ewan MacColl & Peggy Seeger - North Sea Holes

Edited by Wibbles
  • Like 2

The next one is largely based on the life of Sam Larner (1878 - 1965), a fisherman from Winterton-on-Sea (just north of Great Yarmouth). This is pretty much the life that my great grandfather lived.

Although I'm not genetical related to Sam as far as I know, I do have a family connection to him. His 2x great grandfather was a chap called Robert Brown. Robert's first wife, Elizabeth Green, was my 5x great aunt.

The Shoals Of Herring - Ewan MacColl

Edited by Wibbles