Video export with no audio

dantarbill

CakeSonarLab user since DOS 2.whatever.  Complete video noob.

I've imported an MP4 video into Cake 2022.11, along with stereo audio from a Tascam DR-40.  The audio from the MP4 gets dumped to it's own stereo audio track, which is muted in favor of the DR-40 capture, which has been jam sync'd to the MP4 video/audio.

I've marked where I want the video to start and end.

Everything's happy so far.

In my typical export/render, I'll select all tracks and select the section between my start and end markers.  File/Export/Audio etc.

My thought would be that export to video would be the same process right?

Apparently not, since File/Export/Video just gives you the entire video you started with (not just from Start to End) without any audio.

What is the actual process here?

Edited by dantarbill

I totally get that video is not Cake's forte...however.  Since it has video support (to a point) what would be the process to get a video that starts here, ends there and has rendered audio?

I'm not looking for fades or dissolves or anything even slightly involved.

The "real video editor" thing comes later.

I don't mean to be dismissive, its just that the reason for the video track is so you can use it for scoring to picture, not so you can do anything with the video itself.

Typically in the film/ tv industry, you would be given a copy and you would import it to use while composing your score. When you are done, you would render your audio to the required format and send it out. Whoever was assembling the final product would take the final cut of color graded and edited video and however many tracks of recorded dialogue, Foley, and your score and mix them together as appropriate.

In the past I have used video in Cakewalk (Sonar) to create/edit audio content to match timing of the video, and then exporting the audio, so that it can properly be added to the visuals in an outside AV editing system afterwards. It was great to have that option, even knowing that Cakewalk was not going to provide the video.

I have also just used Cakewalk (Sonar) to play back a project with video in a live theater situation, where I projected the video on a separate video output to the projector, and used the audio mixing & effects of the DAW to provide the sound. -Again, that came in handy. Many of us know Cakewalk is not a video production tool as such, but it can be great to use in supplementing the process. -In fact, a free competitor to PT & AVID integration, when you use those types of tools.

Seriously, a video editing program is the best way to do this. I use Vegas, because video is video, and CbB is an audio workstation. So I don't know much about how to work with video in CbB, but there are some entries in the official documentation PDF (1,942 pages). You can find it for downloading at the top of any page in this forum, under "Cakewalk by Bandlab|Reference Guide PDF." Search the PDF for "export video" and good luck with this.

Edited by Larry Jones
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, dantarbill said:

My thought would be that export to video would be the same process right?

Apparently not, since File/Export/Video just gives you the entire video you started with (not just from Start to End) without any audio

Export to video exports the full lenght of the video. No way to set start-end points.

...but it should export the audio as well. Be sure that your audio export settings are correct. If I remember well, CW exports audio first, in the same way it exports audio alone, and then exports video.

Long time ago I tried Sonar for exporting audio+video but it was not good. I migrated to Adobe Premiere for this.

I have to confess I've not done a lot of scoring to video, but when I have this is the workflow I used:

1.  Import the video into Cakewalk and write the music.
2.  Bounce the entire mix to a new track*
3.  Drag that track into a video editor (I think I used Magix Movie Maker at the time)
4.  Do all video exports from the video editor.

*If you need separate tracks (e.g. FX / music / dialog), then do separate bounces accordingly.

To be honest, I didn't find the workflow too restrictive.  The video support in Cakewalk (SONAR at the time) was good enough during the writing process - I only needed to bounce/drag to the video editor when the video needed to be sent to someone.

• Like 2