Upcoming MYST-influenced game, developer using Cakewalk for the soundtrack

Starship Krupa

And I'll have to figure out where he's located and if he needs another employee!  That's DEFINITELY my kind of game and something I've wanted to help develop for years (and, no, I'm not referring to the soundtrack, I mean everything from story, puzzles, graphics, etc.!).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craigb said:

That's DEFINITELY my kind of game and something I've wanted to help develop for years....

These days geography is hardly a stumbling block....no need to give yourself reasons not to try. 😎

What games other than MYST pique your interest?

I dug the MYST series in a big way and my interest was rekindled in a big way a year ago December when I snagged a Humble Bundle of every Cyan title ever for $10. Played through all of the MYST series and then Obduction

Since then I've been exploring how many games MYST influenced in one way or another. Probably the closest non-Cyan title I've played was Quern-Undying Thoughts. then Zof (demo), PneumaDream, Firewatch, and Eastshade.

I also discovered puzzle/platform games like Portal, Lightmatter, The Turing Test, and The Talos Principle,  all of which also have interesting storylines.

Now finishing up Outer WIlds, an amazing space exploration game.

chances are he's using the version he got on steam back in the day? and if it's working why try fixing?

i once took a summer job in felixstowe looking after dodgems and bumper-boats at the prom fairground (don't ask)

9 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

chances are he's using the version he got on steam back in the day? and if it's working why try fixing?

i once took a summer job in felixstowe looking after dodgems and bumper-boats at the prom fairground (don't ask)

Cakewalk by BandLab has at least one feature that someone doing a game soundtrack would find very useful: Arranger Track. In addition to the smaller take-it-for-granted ones like Ripple Edit Indicator. Moreover, for something so mission-critical, why use abandonware when a newer, better, supported version (that is 100% workflow compatible) is available for free? It's not as if installing CbB breaks SONAR.

I know there are still SONAR holdouts for whatever reason (some people still think that it requires you to participate in BandLab), but I don't know that I've seen a SONAR user try CbB and reject it.

Cool summer job! I once worked as rides and shows supervisor at a theme park in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

I was a fan of Myst back in the day, and was disappointed when I found out it was strictly DOS-only and unplayable under Windows. It was a genre unto itself, and  a god-level achievement given the technological limitations of the day. I'd buy this title!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, craigb said:

Went for it!  Now I just have to wonder how long it will be before I can play it!  😆

With these 5-year-old indie exploration games that don't really need high FPS, a used GTX 1080 or even GT 1030 (which is what I use) will run them lickety-split. My GT 1030 is even passive, for extra-quiet PC operation.

The only one I've played where I would like to have a little more under the hood as far as GPU is Outer Wilds, which is a space exploration game. One in which I have been immersed for weeks. And I'm not even sure how much it would help, because I get similar results even when I turn the graphics quality down.

The rest of them go like the proverbial flying mammal exiting Hades.

I've even been able to play some of them on my 2017 Dell Latitude with its built-in Intel H620 GPU.

That's one of the fun things about "catching up." With any indie "walking simulator" or puzzler from a few years ago, even my not-leading-edge systems run them well.

Kinda like Cakewalk. When a lot of its code was new, the idea of having 16G of RAM and a multi-core CPU that can clock up to 3.9MHz was crazy. And since Noel And The Gang have been optimizing the engine and graphics, I find that it keeps running better, even on way too old hardware.

9 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

With these 5-year-old indie exploration games that don't really need high FPS, a used GTX 1080 or even GT 1030 (which is what I use) will run them lickety-split. My GT 1030 is even passive, for extra-quiet PC operation.

While that's nice, I don't have ANY video card installed.  Just the onboard graphics (which, I must, do handle normal work at 3840 x 2160).

The good video card that I had in the previous system got damaged (along with the motherboard and two of the hard drives) thanks to a slowly dying power supply...

4 hours ago, craigb said:

While that's nice, I don't have ANY video card installed.  Just the onboard graphics (which, I must, do handle normal work at 3840 x 2160).

I can play Outer Wilds on my 2017 notebook with the onboard UHD620 (although not optimal, it's playable) so my guess is that your system as-is, with onboard graphics, would have no trouble at all with Quern.

I'll give it a shot once I have the time!  I still have finished Obduction though and that one was taxing my old system with the nice (albeit damaged) video card.

I'd love to take a break and play a game, I just don't have any free time at the moment!  (NOT a bad thing!  I'm finally catching up on that back-rent!)

• Like 1