Midi duplication and such

jkoseattle

Question

Been away from CW for at least 6 months. Now I'm needing it to do some really simple demos. But weirdness prevails...

The first time I went to record, I was getting duplicate Midi notes on the track. So I just recorded my stuff on a different track and moved it to the track I needed, but I never figured out why it was doing that.

Then today, I had one track recorded, and needed to record a melody on a second track. Each track uses a different Opus instrument. But when recording track 2, the existing notes from track 1 were also getting recorded on track 2 along with what I was playing. 

The inputs for both tracks are my M-Audio keyboard "Omni", which afaik is what it has always been. In any case, I've never had to deal with any of that. Any idea what's going on here?

7 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, jkoseattle said:

Been away from CW for at least 6 months. Now I'm needing it to do some really simple demos. But weirdness prevails...

The first time I went to record, I was getting duplicate Midi notes on the track. So I just recorded my stuff on a different track and moved it to the track I needed, but I never figured out why it was doing that.

Then today, I had one track recorded, and needed to record a melody on a second track. Each track uses a different Opus instrument. But when recording track 2, the existing notes from track 1 were also getting recorded on track 2 along with what I was playing. 

The inputs for both tracks are my M-Audio keyboard "Omni", which afaik is what it has always been. In any case, I've never had to deal with any of that. Any idea what's going on here?

See if "Enable MIDI Output" is set for the Opus instrument when you insert it.

Thanks, I went into the help to figure out where I could see the Enable Midi Output option. It tells me it's in the dialog when I go to insert a new soft synth, but I don't get a dialog at all. I choose Insert > Soft Synth... > and then I choose Opus and am taken directly to the Opus plugin. Otherwise though, it sounds like the culprit all right. Where is this Enable Midi Output found?

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR X2&language=3&help=SoftSynths.19.html

Thanks for the pointers. I got it now and that indeed fixed the problem! Whew.

Now, since I've been using CW for literally 34 years (OMG) I have never run into this before. I just added a new synth to this project and lo and behold, Enable MIDI Output is checked by default. I've never had to deal with this before so I don't know why it's different all of a sudden. I poked around Preferences and am not seeing anything obvious. Can I disable this by default somewhere?

1 hour ago, jkoseattle said:

Thanks for the pointers. I got it now and that indeed fixed the problem! Whew.

Now, since I've been using CW for literally 34 years (OMG) I have never run into this before. I just added a new synth to this project and lo and behold, Enable MIDI Output is checked by default. I've never had to deal with this before so I don't know why it's different all of a sudden. I poked around Preferences and am not seeing anything obvious. Can I disable this by default somewhere?

Yes - the synth properties dialog options are remembered for next time, so just uncheck "Enable MIDI Output" the next time you insert a synth.

If you normally use the HUD add track dialog, you can still get to this dialog via the Synth Rack:

image.png.7d39860265e83ac6fd86dbb5f55c6272.png