TTS-1 Questions

Demii

Hi, so I just opened a .MIDI file on Cakewalk in order to learn more about TTS-1 and I have a couple questions.

First of all, they made it so one of the notes increases its volume over time like on the gif I uploaded. How did they achieve that?slider.gif.58eb5c261b4560c4fd2fe14b9457a13c.gif

They didn't change anything in the effects, not even the Attack.

I have another question regarding the changing of the preset. For example if I try change it from "Syn.Strings2" to "Organ 1" it stays on "Organ 1" only until I play the track. Once the music kicks in it automatically sets the preset back to "Syn.Strings2" as if it was set to do so in its core or something. Can I do something about that?

Edit: I just found out that it's not just about the Presets, it's the same for any change I'd like to make.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Demii
  • Like 1

That's not exclusive to Cakewalk or TTS-1.

Imported/opened MIDI files can contain MIDI events other than note on and note off, such as MIDI CC controllers or patch changes. So playing the MIDI file back unedited will likely override changes that you have temporarily made to the instrument, as the instrument responds to the time-stamped events in the file.

Suggest reading up on how to use the MIDI "Event List" view in Cakewalk, as you will need some type of MIDI editor to alter the MIDI file if you want to make any changes.

Event List view:  https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Views.27.html

Event List buttons and overview:  https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=EditingMIDI.46.html

Editing events and event parameters: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=EditingMIDI.49.html#1085602

Edit: to simply change the instrument you should use the suggestion in the response to your other post on this topic. 

Use the MIDI track inspector. http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Inspectors.3.html#1220713

Edited by abacab
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, abacab said:

That's not exclusive to Cakewalk or TTS-1.

Imported/opened MIDI files can contain MIDI events other than note on and note off, such as MIDI CC controllers or patch changes. So playing the MIDI file back unedited will likely override changes that you have temporarily made to the instrument, as the instrument responds to the time-stamped events in the file.

Suggest reading up on how to use the MIDI "Event List" view in Cakewalk, as you will need some type of MIDI editor to alter the MIDI file if you want to make any changes.

Event List view:  https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Views.27.html

Event List buttons and overview:  https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=EditingMIDI.46.html

Editing events and event parameters: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=EditingMIDI.49.html#1085602

Edit: to simply change the instrument you should use the suggestion in the response to your other post on this topic. 

Use the MIDI track inspector. http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Inspectors.3.html#1220713

Thank you! Very, very insightful, I will check this out. What if I wanted to make this kind of "increasing volume over time" effect using TTS-1 by myself? How can I do that?

6 minutes ago, Demii said:

What if I wanted to make this kind of "increasing volume over time" effect using TTS-1 by myself? How can I do that?

I think the most popular way for "increasing volume over time" would be to assign a track automation lane in the track header. You can automate a plug-in's audio parameters such as master volume or pan, or MIDI control parameters, such as the MIDI volume for each MIDI ch 1-16. These options will vary depending on the plug-in in use. TTS-1 will show 16 channels, but most plugin instruments only use 1 MIDI channel.

You can draw in an envelope that will be used to control the assigned parameter over time as the track plays back.

Using Automation lanes: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Automation.10.html

• Like 1

One thing you should be aware of regarding MIDI volume (CC #7) - this not only applies to the TTS-1, but many other synths.

Changing MIDI volume will affect notes played after the volume change.  It will not change the volume of notes that are already playing.  You can get around this by using expression instead (CC#11), however you can't increase volume with expression, only decrease it, so it can get a bit messy controlling both.

Given that the TTS-1 is a software synth, you may want to consider using volume automation on the TTS-1 audio track.   The TTS-1 can utilize up to four stereo outputs, so four instances of TTS-1 can be used to give 16 channels each with their own independent audio output.   This will also enable you to add standard audio VST effects on each of your TTS-1 channels, and use the ProChannel on each of them too.

Here's an example of how to set up TTS-1 in this manner:

16TracksTTS1.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

Changing MIDI volume will affect notes played after the volume change.  It will not change the volume of notes that are already playing. 

Good point! And good explanation. I've never tried to automate MIDI volume, as I normally just rely on the volume of the audio track for mixing soft synths.

The OP had asked how to make the volume go up in a single channel in TTS-1 as in the example GIF. So you wouldn't get a smooth volume rise that way with sustained notes, as you would get jumps as new notes were played.

On 3/24/2023 at 4:41 PM, msmcleod said:

[...]
Changing MIDI volume will affect notes played after the volume change.  It will not change the volume of notes that are already playing.  You can get around this by using expression instead (CC#11), however you can't increase volume with expression, only decrease it, so it can get a bit messy controlling both.
[...]

Please find attached a simple project with a single sustained note. Controller 7 is first used to decrescendo/crescendo and then controller 11 is used to do the same. It appears to contradict what you are saying here. Did I misunderstand you?

VolumeChangeExample.cwp

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Please find attached a simple project with a single sustained note. Controller 7 is first used to decrescendo/crescendo and then controller 11 is used to do the same. It appears to contradict what you are saying here. Did I misunderstand you?

I didn't look at the file, but if you are talking about this:

Changing MIDI volume will affect notes played after the volume change.  It will not change the volume of notes that are already playing.  You can get around this by using expression instead (CC#11), however you can't increase volume with expression, only decrease it, so it can get a bit messy controlling both.

my experience with hardware synth also differs from what was described with regard to TTS-1. In my experience, both CC11 and CC7 operate on a channel-by-channel bases and affect all notes on a channel.  Not sure if MPE changed that; I haven't done anything with MPE.

I just tested TTS-1.  In my test (lrecording and playback) both CC11 and CC7 changed the volume of all notes.  In TTS-1 CC7 moved the channel fader, CC11 didn't. Both changed the loudness of notes that were playing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

VolumeChangeExample.cwp 469.36 kB · 0 downloads

I stand corrected...  IIRC it was certainly an issue with earlier Roland hardware, so I probably just assumed it was the same with the TTS-1, which emulates the hardware.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

VolumeChangeExample.cwp 469.36 kB · 2 downloads

@Eddie, That was so nice of you to create this small project to illustrate your findings.  I find it much easier to understand the meaning through example.

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I stand corrected...  IIRC it was certainly an issue with earlier Roland hardware, so I probably just assumed it was the same with the TTS-1, which emulates the hardware.

It may well be the same for some modern devices, they all have their quirks. 😆

I did a quick test with TTS-1 just to verify and decided to post my findings.

1 hour ago, Jim Fogle said:

@Eddie, That was so nice of you to create this small project to illustrate your findings.  I find it much easier to understand the meaning through example.

You're welcome. I only have a few MIDI devices and had not experienced what Mark mentioned, which prompted me to do a small test.

• Like 1