Plugin Load Balancing

Not all projects will benefit from load balancing, and I can imagine scenarios where it might actually reduce performance.

Watch the CPU meters during playback. If one core appears to be doing all the work, then that project may be a candidate for load balancing. But if all cores are already dancing around comparable values, then PGL probably won't make a noticeable difference.

If all cores are working hard, PGL can't avoid the need for increasing buffer sizes for a CPU-intensive project. This is most likely what you'll have to do.

Should also note that not all plugins are compatible with load balancing, and dropouts (crackles) can be a symptom of using PGL with plugins that are incompatible.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Solved it Cakewalk. Make your plugin chainer so it's able to apply the vst's in parallel as apposed to series. They can then properly distribute the processing over multiple cores and threads. Until then Blue Cats Patchwork does the job. 

Edited by Simon Payne

6 hours ago, Simon Payne said:

Solved it Cakewalk. Make your plugin chainer so it's able to apply the vst's in parallel as apposed to series. They can then properly distribute the processing over multiple cores and threads. Until then Blue Cats Patchwork does the job. 

In general, this doesn't work: mixing (which is what parallel processing would entail) a compressed signal with a reverbed signal is not the same as applying a reverb to a compressed signal.

stop.png.d6372da8c1c35b8ddd2eed662004a853.pngI hadn't noticed this new icon until today...I think it means "stop already!".

Now, to be fair to Simon, having the ability to do parallel processing within the fx bin would be a nice feature to have. I probably wouldn't use it, but I'm sure somebody would. And then come here asking why their reverb sounds so weird.

• Like 1

Guys I'm no blue cats Salesman but when you use their parallel host your vst's no longer stack up on the first core, maxing it out first. It enables true load balancing. nuff said. Too much talk.. no enough music

P. S. Leave your reverbs in serial. 

70% more cpu power for you. 

Edited by Simon Payne