Goodhertz Pi Day Sale! — Save 31%+ 🥧

cclarry

Maybe their BF sale has a larger discount, but got those who can't wait that long: I use 3 of their plugins on virtually every project. Canopener for the headpone check or when I work with headphones. Gooddither as my standard dither algorithm. Vulf Compressor as one of my favorite colour compressors. 

• Like 2

Spent the day thinking I'd get home and demo Canopener then buy it, based on the positive feedback I had read about it online. But in the youtube video I checked out during my lunch break, I couldn't hear any difference between when it was enabled and when it was disabled.

Installed the demo. Still can't hear the difference. 

Not sure if it's just subtle stuff or if I'm just not cut out for mixing. 

12 minutes ago, Craig N said:

Spent the day thinking I'd get home and demo Canopener then buy it, based on the positive feedback I had read about it online. But in the youtube video I checked out during my lunch break, I couldn't hear any difference between when it was enabled and when it was disabled.

Installed the demo. Still can't hear the difference. 

Not sure if it's just subtle stuff or if I'm just not cut out for mixing. 

I'm a Realphones user and was going to snarkily tell you to get better headphones, but I've checked out Can Opener now and it actually is really subtle. It doesn't seem to emulate speakers at all, but just the crosstalk from it. If you want the "oh wow, I'm sitting in front of speakers" experience, you should probably look at Realphones or SoundID.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jngnz said:

I'm a Realphones user and was going to snarkily tell you to get better headphones, but I've checked out Can Opener now and it actually is really subtle. It doesn't seem to emulate speakers at all, but just the crosstalk from it. If you want the "oh wow, I'm sitting in front of speakers" experience, you should probably look at Realphones or SoundID.

Haha, well I'm glad you found it subtle too! I really expected the addition of crosstalk to be more noticeable. 

I have Realphones already, and I really dig it. I haven't been using it lately because of the CPU load on my aging machine, but I think I'll have to start using it again, because I immediately got a wow factor when comparing it to Canopener last night on my AKG 701s. 

Re better headphones I'm conscious the Realphones recommendations are that to get the best experience one should spend a bit more than the tier of headphones I already own (HD600s are my other goto) but I don't find it as easy to spend hundreds on headphones these days, and I'm pretty happy with the cans I currently have. 

What headphones do you use? 

12 minutes ago, Craig N said:

Haha, well I'm glad you found it subtle too! I really expected the addition of crosstalk to be more noticeable. 

I have Realphones already, and I really dig it. I haven't been using it lately because of the CPU load on my aging machine, but I think I'll have to start using it again, because I immediately got a wow factor when comparing it to Canopener last night on my AKG 701s. 

Re better headphones I'm conscious the Realphones recommendations are that to get the best experience one should spend a bit more than the tier of headphones I already own (HD600s are my other goto) but I don't find it as easy to spend hundreds on headphones these days, and I'm pretty happy with the cans I currently have. 

What headphones do you use? 

Funny. I used to have AKG 701s as well because I absolutely love the character it has. I tried a couple others (Avantone Planar, Audio Technica R70x, both great but too small for my gigantic head) and eventually settled on DT 1990 Pros, which are also the ones the Realphones devs recommend the most. They are tonally similar to the K701 I'd say, but much, much more detailed to the point where you can't believe what you've been missing all this time. I would highly recommend the step uo if you use headphones a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jngnz said:

Funny. I used to have AKG 701s as well because I absolutely love the character it has. I tried a couple others (Avantone Planar, Audio Technica R70x, both great but too small for my gigantic head) and eventually settled on DT 1990 Pros, which are also the ones the Realphones devs recommend the most. They are tonally similar to the K701 I'd say, but much, much more detailed to the point where you can't believe what you've been missing all this time. I would highly recommend the step uo if you use headphones a lot.

Nice. I use headphones all the time. The 1990 Pros are the ones I had thought about stumping up for. Guess I'd better start saving then! 

• Like 1