Metalheads Are Happy People

bitflipper

Metal music stopped being interesting to me a long time ago.

Because everything is so derivative of everything that came before, there can be only so much creativity and innovation and still be accepted by fans as legit. I also reject the phony personas and posturing. If you're gonna play a character on stage, as least make it original, don't look like an extra from a 60's biker movie.

But it appears that all these years I've been missing the point.

On 3/13/2023 at 1:38 PM, bitflipper said:

Metal music stopped being interesting to me a long time ago.

Because everything is so derivative of everything that came before, there can be only so much creativity and innovation and still be accepted by fans as legit. I also reject the phony personas and posturing. If you're gonna play a character on stage, as least make it original, don't look like an extra from a 60's biker movie.

I often feel the same, although I do go through phases when I'm in a somewhat more forgiving mood.

As for the looks, indeed those guys all look the same. It's like they all shop at Wornstar (and actually, a lot of them do) or recycle the same basic ideas.  

https://wornstar.com/?ref=StoreYa&utm_source=stry&utm_medium=trafb&utm_campaign=storeya2b&utm_term=kwd-300184223256

12 hours ago, Rain said:

It's like they all shop at Wornstar (and actually, a lot of them do)

Back in the 70's we bought our band clothes at a store mostly frequented by pimps and ***** wannabes. Well, it's not like you can find shimmery satin shirts at Nordstrom.

Same can be said about music in general; I haven't heard any new musical ideas since the late 90s. BUT I still enjoy listening to new bands of all genres just to hear the new production tricks that are being used. That's one area where even metal is getting some fresh ideas. I'm talking about metal bands borrowing production ideas from other genres like electronica & techno but really ballzing it up.

Have you heard Psychlon Nine? They themselves are a 10 year old band, sorta rehashing the early 90s clubmetal sound (think The Crow soundtrack), but their production is updated and I think it really works. You're right, musically, nothing particulary new... but you gotta admit it's got kick.

Not to mention any singer who gets bitchtackled off the stage and gets back up to finish the verse has my respect 😄

• Like 1

I actually enjoyed that a little. But it's way too inventive to call itself "metal".

Plus they have a keyboard player, and everybody knows real metal bands don't do keys. I will, however, give them credit for defying tradition by not having a singer.

• Haha 1

Agreed. But let's not dismiss SuperFreq's point, which is that you can appreciate production techniques in any genre, even those you might not personally care for. From a technical curiosity standpoint, it's beneficial to listen to stuff that you maybe wouldn't want to fall asleep to. If somebody wanted to pay me to mix a rap album, I guarantee you I'd spend a week intently listening to rap. The money would have to be pretty good, though.