Is there a way to insert time on all tracks without clips being split?

pulsewalk

20 hours ago, pulsewalk said:

I'm not sure how good it would be to split audio and then drag them back together. Would this not alter the waveform at the cut?

FWIW, "Splitting" clips actually copies and pastes the original so that you now have 2 identical clips with slipped ends hiding the data before/after the split point.

Dragging the clip ends back out to their original positions reveals the hidden data. Nothing is altered, hindered, changed or otherwise affected by the split.

This is why it's wise to "bounce" split clips before applying additional editing.

Splitting & end slipping are non-destructive. "Bouncing" is destructive but reversable with Ctrl+Z.

• Like 1

At the heart of the issue is a workflow problem. One must ask how one ends up with that many tracks?  
An orchestra is normally about 100 musicians and many are in sections that are playing the same line. You can create a pretty huge sound using as little as 50 tracks for that. 

But somehow I have a feeling the music being created by Mr pulsewalk is electronic.  
I have troub enough getting my normal 12 tracks mixed perfectly and can’t fathom how I would even begin to cope with anything over say 30 tracks! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

At the heart of the issue is a workflow problem. One must ask how one ends up with that many tracks?  
An orchestra is normally about 100 musicians and many are in sections that are playing the same line. You can create a pretty huge sound using as little as 50 tracks for that. 

But somehow I have a feeling the music being created by Mr pulsewalk is electronic.  
I have troub enough getting my normal 12 tracks mixed perfectly and can’t fathom how I would even begin to cope with anything over say 30 tracks! 

Yes, it is electronic, with orchestral elements.

There's lots of big leads in this one, where one melody can be made up of 10-15 or more different synths/patches. There's lots of effects, atmospheric stuff and so forth.

I could probably combine several tracks into one which uses the same instrument/patch, but then I'd have to work more with automation. A LOT of these tracks are also unused, so those are muted and/or archived, so it's not like there are 200 tracks playing at the same time :)

In any way, this is a huge project and it will be around 8-9 minutes long, maybe longer.

Edited by pulsewalk
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, pulsewalk said:

Yes, it is electronic, with orchestral elements.

There's lots of big leads in this one, where one melody can be made up with 10-15 or more different synths/patches. There's lots of effects, atmospheric stuff and so forth.

I could probably combine several tracks into one which uses the same instrument/patch, but then I'd have to work more with automation. A LOT of these tracks are also unused, so those are muted and/or archived, so it's not like there are 200 tracks playing at the same time :)

In any way, this is a huge project and it will be around 8-9 minutes long, maybe longer.

I sounds really interesting and I hope there's a way we can hear it when it's done.

Also interested in hearing about what method(s) you eventually use(d) to get past this hurdle.

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I sounds really interesting and I hope there's a way we can hear it when it's done.

Also interested in hearing about what method(s) you eventually use(d) to get past this hurdle.

Has anyone (OP especially) tried my suggestion above?  It seems to work as expected for me.

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Yeah, maybe I'll post a link to the finished track when its done :)

The method I'm using is described in the second post in this thread:

6 minutes ago, kperry said:

Has anyone (OP especially) tried my suggestion above?  It seems to work as expected for me.

Your suggestion is actually the same method I've used from the beginning, you can read about it in post #2 in this thread, according to the link above (it's also cited there).

Edited by pulsewalk

Ah - misread that!  I think the explicit description might help others: an extra couple of clicks (add a keybinding to Lock Position for speed) doesn't seem that unreasonable given how rippled editing works in general (and this probably is something of an edge case).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kperry said:

Ah - misread that!  I think the explicit description might help others: an extra couple of clicks (add a keybinding to Lock Position for speed) doesn't seem that unreasonable given how rippled editing works in general (and this probably is something of an edge case).

Yeah, a keyboard shortcut for locking clips needs to be added. I'll do that next time I need to insert time.

What I also would like to see, is a feature, to select every clip that the play cursor touches (is placed "above"), so that way, what I need to do would only be 2 clicks away.

1. Select everything that the play cursor touches *click*

2. Lock all the selected clips *click*

And then just insert time. :)

As far as I know, there's no such feature, to select the clips that the play cursor "touches". :( Maybe could be solved with scripting?

I was thinking you could also add the Position Lock as a button to the custom menu in the Control Bar, but it seems you can only add Position and Data Lock (not the end of the world), if you want to stay in the mouse world.

I think you can also do the selection slightly faster:

- Keybind something (I use Ctrl-Shift-Home because...) to Thru = Now; keybind something (I use Shift-P) to Position Lock

- Ctrl-A to select all

- Position cursor where you want it

- Ctrl-Shift-Home

- Shift-P

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 5:48 PM, kperry said:

I was thinking you could also add the Position Lock as a button to the custom menu in the Control Bar, but it seems you can only add Position and Data Lock (not the end of the world), if you want to stay in the mouse world.

I think you can also do the selection slightly faster:

- Keybind something (I use Ctrl-Shift-Home because...) to Thru = Now; keybind something (I use Shift-P) to Position Lock

- Ctrl-A to select all

- Position cursor where you want it

- Ctrl-Shift-Home

- Shift-P

I just tried this, but "Thru = Now" does only select all the "whole" clips(the ones that is entirely behind) "behind" the position cursor, not the ones that's crossing it. I need to particularly select the ones that's crossing the position cursor, so they won't be cut in half by Ripple edit when I insert time.

Edited by pulsewalk