Odd TTS-1 Crash – No Dump

Tez

I have a template with 1 instrument all outputs mono, and a slew of aux tracks & FXs, using optional sends for FX signal paths & various configurations for 5.1 hard out targets, and NO busses...

After adding TTS-1 (1st Stereo out) set to channel 10 for percussion, on playing any TTS-1 note CB crashes with no dump.

If first, I delete the 1 instrument, then add the TTS-1 as before followed by adding back the 1 instrument configured as before deletion, it all works as expected, no crash, and a template created from this working configuration also has no problems...

Also starting with a blank project adding the 1 instrument first followed by theTTS-1, both defaulting to a hard out, again no problems...

Any reason for the crash??

Yeah, the crash is almost certainly in the plugin.

I still use it and some of the sounds are quite usable in a mix, and it's convenient for sketching out a song, but this is probably the most crash-happy thing on my entire DAW.

Unfortunately nobody has access to the code to fix it anymore, so it's a "use this with a big caveat" thing. Good advice to find a modern and supported similar plugin.

I'm not using TTS-1 from scratch mainly if importing or opening some midi that uses the Microsoft GS Wavetable percussion, which once known can get substituted, and also it shows somewhat the original intent;  non-percussion instruments  just get substituted.  TTS-1's a geriatric DXi & I looked for an alternative,  didn't see anything appealing, any suggestions?  

TTS-1 is a bit buggy, but if you are careful about loading it, I find it works just fine, at least with my system & sound device settings, etc. -My "tricks" for using it: 1) Always save the project before loading TTS-1. 2) It most often crashes immediately after I route the MIDI track(s) to it, and hit play, and most usually with muti-timbral MIDI layouts. So, I tend to route the tracks, and save the project again, and even close & re-open the project before playing if I am not too worried about the crash. -Once it is set up and running, I don't think I have ever had it crash after that. -Your results may vary, of course!

Roland "lent" the code to Sonar back in the day, I think, and they still sell and support the Sound Canvas plugin it was based off of.  I even downloaded & played around with it a bit a few weeks ago. It used to be called VSC (Virtual Sound Canvas), but it's now called Sound Canvas VA in the Roland Cloud. -Has the exact same samples as TTS-1, plus a few more. -Very ancient - yes, but good for previewing old MIDI files quickly.

6 hours ago, JnTuneTech said:

TTS-1 is a bit buggy, but if you are careful about loading it, I find it works just fine, at least with my system & sound device settings, etc. -My "tricks" for using it: 1) Always save the project before loading TTS-1. 2) It most often crashes immediately after I route the MIDI track(s) to it, and hit play, and most usually with muti-timbral MIDI layouts. So, I tend to route the tracks, and save the project again, and even close & re-open the project before playing if I am not too worried about the crash. -Once it is set up and running, I don't think I have ever had it crash after that. -Your results may vary, of course!

Roland "lent" the code to Sonar back in the day, I think, and they still sell and support the Sound Canvas plugin it was based off of.  I even downloaded & played around with it a bit a few weeks ago. It used to be called VSC (Virtual Sound Canvas), but it's now called Sound Canvas VA in the Roland Cloud. -Has the exact same samples as TTS-1, plus a few more. -Very ancient - yes, but good for previewing old MIDI files quickly.

Another tip - if you're going to use TTS-1 make sure it's the first thing you add to your project.  I've no way of confirming this (it's Roland's code, and we don't have it), but I suspect somewhere they're using 32 bit pointers to store 64 bit addresses.  If the address is a low enough number, it'll get away with it... otherwise it'll definitely crash.

• Like 1

@msmcleod  Thanks, that totally makes sense, explains why inserting 1st worked for me 😁 Since I use it as a substitute for the GS Wavetable percussion, last night I found an alternative,  SF2s found at this link:  https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/1549 and used "sfZed09" sfz format editor at this link: http://steveholt.drealm.info/sfZed.html, to convert the SF2 percussion to an SFZ then loaded it into Rapture Pro, which eliminates TTS-1 issues & my ol' SF player's not reliable, All the other instruments are there in the SF2 and can be extracted as individual SFZ's!  I'm sure a lot of folks here are already familiar with this, but thought I'd list the info just in case it helps someone... 

• Great Idea 1

• 1 year later...

Just a note that although many sf2's can be converted to sfz's without incident, they are two different formats and some sf2's WILL not convert accurately or 100% so they may not sound quite the same as the original sf2.  It really depends on how complex the sf2 is.

There are sf2 players out there if the format needs to be preserved.

I did a bunch of research which really only scratched the surface of what is out there. I made a video explaining about the topic. 
https://youtu.be/kF3tEttGdIQ?si=fE2pYVduYk_EwoeA

But just today I tried to open a project that I know for sure I had added the TTS-1 later in the game being after the steel drum patch. and it crashed the minute I hit playback. 
I now have Coyote player so I swapped for that and it stopped crashing.

Note: I’m using CbB as I was having issues with Sonar midi editing. 
Anyhow Coyote even sounds better to me  so it’s good riddance TTS-1 for me.