Clean Audio Folder Problems

Horace Mix

Hello:

I'm having problems with the utility "Clean Audio Folder". 

Let's say I work on a song named "My song". I create a folder named "Artist - My song". Inside I have all the project files (Audio - Audio Export- Melodyne - Mix Scenes - My song.cwp) but also a folder named "Files" with other audio files I use in my work.

When I try to delete all the unused files the dialog says for example that guit (take 06).wav file cannot be deleted. I have to open the systray and stop the Cakewalk process because it will show that dialog box for each file, one by one.

If I browse the project's folder, the "Clean Audio Folder" utility will also include audio files outside the folders "Audio" and "Audio Export" which is a problem because I use to create a "Files" folder containing audio tracks sent by my client and I don't want to lose them but I want to keep them inside the project's folder. 

If I browse the "Audio" folder within the project's folder the "Clean Audio Folder" dialog will find all the unused audio files, but again, it won't erase them. 

Honestly I don't trust the utility but I need to reduce the weight of the project's folder once I have to archive the work. 

Any solution? Maybe a remake of this Utility to asure it works properly? I'm hoping for an update soon!

NOTE: I use external HDD for my projects and everything works perfectly except for this problem.

Kind regards

Horace

The whole point of Clean Audio Folder is to find all un-referenced audio anywhere in the subdirectories of the project folder. It just isn't designed to accomodate storing audio files that it doesn't recognize as part of the project. I don't think that's likely to change.

Workarounds that come to mind are:

- Change the file extensions to something other than .WAV or maybe convert them to .FLAC.

- ZIP the Files directory.

6 hours ago, John Vere said:

What works for me I  as just use a”Save As “. And put it in a different location. It will only save stuff that was being used and all the garbage is left behind. 

This 100%

Just make sure you've got "Copy audio with project" checked.

You can then delete your original project folder with impunity

• Like 1

I always have at least 4 copies all on different drives. The main back up drive is in the computer so only a quick click to “save as” and put it there. 
Only downside to this is when you see your start screen the next day there will be 2 versions of that project there on the recent list.

My habit to avoid working on the wrong version is to always open from the Existing projects tab then I know where I am. 
Another way would be to always include the date in the back up versions name 

14 hours ago, John Vere said:

What works for me I  as just use a”Save As “. And put it in a different location. It will only save stuff that was being used and all the garbage is left behind. 

7 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

This 100%

This works as long as you have no audio files that are only referenced. If you have some referenced-only files, then they are also copied with the project's audio file. And usually there is a reason why you reference those files, i.e. you don't want them to be copied! 😉

On 2/25/2023 at 11:33 PM, David Baay said:

The whole point of Clean Audio Folder is to find all un-referenced audio anywhere in the subdirectories of the project folder. It just isn't designed to accomodate storing audio files that it doesn't recognize as part of the project. I don't think that's likely to change.

Workarounds that come to mind are:

- Change the file extensions to something other than .WAV or maybe convert them to .FLAC.

- ZIP the Files directory.

Thank you for your advice. 

On 2/26/2023 at 6:42 AM, Bristol_Jonesey said:

This 100%

On 2/25/2023 at 11:41 PM, John Vere said:

Thank you! Very clever! I thought about saving in *.bun (bundle) but I think your idea is better!

Nobody trust bundles even though I think they are fine  but over the year many people have lost their work when it was saved that way. It’s usually a person who save as a bundle years ago and now it won’t open. I have back up CWP file in project folders that are from 2005 that open fine but just with warnings of missing plug ins. 

Yes, I switched from Saving as Bundle to Save As (including audio files). And I use this only when the project is finished, saving at least two copies in two different drives (plus the Cloud). 

I think that once you get a personal file handling system that works fine for your needs/habits, it’s easier to avoid the kind of problems you describe.

The  Clean Audio Folder utility is not really a file manager, but a (sometimes) useful tool to delete un-referenced audio files, but I guess that means that the file is REALLY orphaned, and not just in a different drive, or hidden somewhere.

30 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Nobody trust bundles even though I think they are fine  but over the year many people have lost their work when it was saved that way. It’s usually a person who save as a bundle years ago and now it won’t open. I have back up CWP file in project folders that are from 2005 that open fine but just with warnings of missing plug ins. 

Hahaha! That is so true! I had a few broken bundles in the past. That's why I don't use them anymore.

• Like 1