Anti-virus vs. Audio Software

bitflipper

I ran Norton Power Eraser today, just because I'd never used it before and wanted to check it out. This tool may be useful, but in my test the results were laughable. The first two are programs I wrote myself. The next two are Microsoft products. Conduct.exe is the Continuata installer, used by several sample library vendors. The last is iZotope RX8. 

I can see the logic behind Continuata, as it is an installer. But NPE did not identify any of my other installers (e.g. 8Dio, Arturia, AudioModeling , iZotope, Native Access, Toontrack).

I guess this is a good result, since it suggests I don't have any real malware issues. But I can imagine users blindly removing software without closely examining what it is that they're actually quarantining.

In the past I've had virus scanners identify audio plugins as potential malware. On at least one occasion, even wave files were so flagged. 

norton.png

• Thanks 1

Being a (now) single male, I can understand the Adult Novelties, plus we all know that Microsoft is itself a virus, so everything looks accurate until it gets to the bottom two! 🤣

I stopped using Norton a LONG time ago when it became bloatware.  I've used ESET for over two decades and it's been awesome! 

TBF, Defender does a commendable job as a firewall.  When I was still doing IT consulting/helpdesk stuff we would recommend it for users.

Note:  While ESET replaced Norton's AV, I replaced Norton Utilities with Glary Utilities and have been very happy with it (also for decades!).

Edited by craigb

On 2/10/2023 at 6:22 PM, craigb said:

... that Microsoft is itself a virus, ...

Great detection! Now I know why I lost so many hours of my senseless life recovering issues caused by Microsoft!

Frankly, the sole data losses that I experienced in all my decades as Win-user (that was/is more a Lost than a Win) were caused by Windows and never by a virus!

• Haha 1