Soundiron Black Friday Sale: 50% Off all Products through November 27th!

cclarry

Any thoughts on Hyperion Strings Elements and Hyperion Brass Elements?

Strings is advertised as a chamber string library and I'm missing one, but I'd expect a chamber orchestra to have a more intimate/close sound than what I'm hearing on the demos, and it sounds a bit synthy too. It might go well with some kind of hybrid music, though I'm not sure if it's loud enough for that.

Brass sounds synthy too, but not in a good way. I'm actually contemplating buying Solid State Symphony from Indiginus where the whole point is synthy sound, but it sounds far better, IMO.

55 minutes ago, pseudopop said:

Any thoughts on Hyperion Strings Elements and Hyperion Brass Elements?

Strings is advertised as a chamber string library and I'm missing one, but I'd expect a chamber orchestra to have a more intimate/close sound than what I'm hearing on the demos, and it sounds a bit synthy too. It might go well with some kind of hybrid music, though I'm not sure if it's loud enough for that.

Brass sounds synthy too, but not in a good way. I'm actually contemplating buying Solid State Symphony from Indiginus where the whole point is synthy sound, but it sounds far better, IMO.

@pseudopop You may have already considered 8Dio's Intimate Solo Strings (on sale for $45USD), but if you didn't, it gives you with 1-5 violinists, 1-3 cellists, 1-3 violas, and 1 - 2 basses, there are 256 ensemble sizes. I've owned it for a couple of years and paid a lot more for it. Nothing for the $45 USD price range even comes close. While I have been very critical of 8Dio's string libraries as not having very good KONTAKT scripting -- that their peers are commonly far superior at writing smart, intuitive scripts that make the libraries more fun to play live to get a realistic performance -- the reality is, those peers are when the libraries are at full price for hundreds of dollars. If this library was three times its current sale price, I don't think you could realistically expect the same level of quality. But again, where I find 8Dio's libraries, as a whole, to be disappointing is the lack of good KONTAKT scripting, so if you buy it, know what you're getting into. You do get a ton of articulations and you can set up velocities or keyswitches to trigger those articulations. So if you spend the time to learn these libraries, you can get beautiful results that are far beyond what you're going to get with say, Hyperion Strings Elements or Solid State Symphony.  That said, while I own several SoundIron libraries, I don't own any of their string libraries (okay, that's offhand, I might actually own some I've forgotten about), I seem to recall Fleer saying he did. But I think, overall, SoundIron seems to be a lot better at writing sophisticated KONTAKT scripts than 8Dio. While I don't own any Indignuis libraries -- or at least ones I've purchased in the last decade -- that developer has a very good reputation for writing clever KONTAKT scripts that make his libraries easy to play. I recall that Reid is a big fan of their libraries, so he's one you might want to check with. 

Now, if you want to buy an 8Dio  library and you haven't bought from them before, both Larry and I are customers and you can PM either of us for a link that well get you a $15 USD discount, bringing the cost of the library down to $30 USD, which is a crazy good deal, even considering the disappointing lack of clever KONTAKT scripting with 8Dio libraries. 

https://8dio.com/products/intimate-studio-strings?variant=41310021746888

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

@pseudopop You may have already considered 8Dio's Intimate Solo Strings (on sale for $45USD)

Oh, right. Those guys. I bought the whole Intimate threesome just a few of days ago, but I already forgot about it (it's been a busy week.). At about $35 for each it was a no-brainer. I have thrown a lot of money into the pit that is 8dio, so no referral discounts for me, unfortunately.

But thank you for reminding me that I actually do have something of a chamber orchestra. :)

For the time being, I think I'll keep Hyperion on the "maybe" section of my Black Friday list. The YouTube walkthroughs sound better (edit: much better) than SoundCloud demos, so maybe there's something in there for me. I know @Fleer likes them.

Edited by pseudopop
  • Like 2

True, they’re quite handy (the Elements ones) but of course not large. And I trust Soundiron as a quality dev. They update their stuff if they believe they should, which is great. Go for the Elements instead of Micro, but if you get Micro, you can upgrade without losing out. 

• Like 1