(Solved) FOUND: Hidden Feature: Step Recording!

El Diablo

Question

Hi,

Original Question: How to get Cakewalk to record midi strokes from keyboard while waiting between beats?

I remember back in the day I stumbled on this feature long ago, but I can't remember how I got it to do that.

How it worked? It waits for your input, you press the keyboard chord, when you release it moves to the next beat and waits.  Then you can press another chord, when you release, it moves to the next beat and waits.

Does anyone know how to set this up or was this feature removed?

Please help.

Edited by El Diablo

11 answers to this question

On 10/11/2022 at 12:57 AM, El Diablo said:

It's truly a hidden feature unless you are looking for a way to do it.

If you right click on the Record button you will get an option to set the record mode to step.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a way to make it more front-facing, although there might be. How were you expecting to find it?

Cakewalk is a huge and venerable beast, and for some things, you really do need to RTM, as you did.

Have you downloaded a copy of the Reference Guide? That's a good one to have on your phone for when you're waiting in line or at the doctor's office.

• Great Idea 1

28 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

If you right click on the Record button you will get an option to set the record mode to step.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a way to make it more front-facing, although there might be. How were you expecting to find it?

Cakewalk is a huge and venerable beast, and for some things, you really do need to RTM, as you did.

Have you downloaded a copy of the Reference Guide? That's a good one to have on your phone for when you're waiting in line or at the doctor's of office.

When I right click on the record button, Cakewalk brings me to preferences -> project -> Record area and not the step recorder.

Edit: If you left click and hold, you will then get a menu to setup the record button for step record.  To change it back, left click and hold ... Choose "Comping".

Edited by El Diablo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

If you left click and hold, you will then get a menu to setup the record button for step record.  To change it back, left click and hold ... Choose "Comping".

Sorry, I had it mixed up. If you look closely at that Record button, it has a little arrow in the lower right corner, which in Cakewalk's iconography, means "more features are available under this button." The only way to figure out which button, click and hold, whatever, is unfortunately just by experimenting. But at least you know that's what the little arrow means.

1 minute ago, Starship Krupa said:

Sorry, I had it mixed up. If you look closely at that Record button, it has a little arrow in the lower right corner, which in Cakewalk's iconography, means "more features are available under this button." The only way to figure out which button, click and hold, whatever, is unfortunately just by experimenting. But at least you know that's what the little arrow means.

They should make it clear by saying in the "yellow hints" ... You know the yellow pop-up hints when you hover over a button for a moment or two.  They should just say "click and hold for more options" instead of the obvious " Record (Comping) [R].  Or they can combine two hints together!

Not everyone is smart enough to figure out what the developer was thinking.

• Great Idea 1

Just now, El Diablo said:

They should just say "click and hold for more options" instead of the obvious " Record (Comping) [R]

Agree totally. Feature Request it in Feedback Loop.

My favorite Useless Cakewalk Tooltip is when you hover over the note duration buttons in the Piano Roll. Over the quarter note symbol the tooltip says...."quarter note." Unless this is some kind of teaching device, how many people know what a quarter note is without also knowing what one looks like?

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

8 hours ago, sjoens said:

I don't!

To me a quarter of anything is missing 3/4 of the whole. All the notes look complete to me. :S :D

Even the ones with holes in the middle?  What about the ones where the little dots have fallen off? 🙂

• Like 1