visualize notes for each track

Chris Smashe

Hey Everyone.

I was wondering if there was a way, or a plug-in that you know of that can let you visualize the notes of each track in one place. What i mean is attached is a screenshot of RipX. The yellow lines are the vocals. I have that isolated. image.thumb.png.d63e9b7652db1600e1df8f426ba5ae68.png

What I would like to do is take just a vocal track from a song and put it into cakewalk as one track. Then Sing in another track, have it display something like this and watch the lines and see if im sharp or flat.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Edited by Chris Smashe

I will continue to look at this, but currently, I'm not seeing a way to do what I want with it. What I want is

Tack one = original vocal track and have it show on a graph.

Track 2 = real-time vocal track and overlays over the track one graph. 

I'm looking for a way to recreate the functionality Yousician song section with whatever song I want.

Extracting a vocal take from a finished mix would require one of the two higher levels of Melodyne, Editor or Studio. And showing both the extracted take and your recorded take would require the highest level, Studio, as Editor does not support multiple active tracks. Even then, I suspect it might be difficult or impossible to see them 'side-by-side' for comparison. 

I don't know of any freeware that can do what you want.

26 minutes ago, bdickens said:

I'm thinking ear training and listening with your ears rather than your eyes.

Thats kinda hard when you are currently singing. The whole point of this is to have a baseline track that is "Correct" and then have your live track and be able to see if you are high or low. It works great in yousision but the number of songs is lacking. 

Im not a good singer and am trying to practice to get better. I thought of this idea yesterday and googling it did not give me what i was looking for but I was not fully sure what it would be called.

I can do it currently with a tuner hooked to each track but it is only the current note and does not show a history (which is not 100% needed but would be nice)

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

Extracting a vocal take from a finished mix would require one of the two higher levels of Melodyne, Editor or Studio. And showing both the extracted take and your recorded take would require the highest level, Studio, as Editor does not support multiple active tracks. Even then, I suspect it might be difficult or impossible to see them 'side-by-side' for comparison. 

I don't know of any freeware that can do what you want.

I already have the extraction part figured out. I only need the 2 graphs on top of each other. Below is a screenshot of what i am trying to recreate.

I do not need the words or the note names.

Just the pitch graph of each track. If they are on top of each other, I am in pitch. If they are separated, i am off and can see if i am high or low.

image.thumb.png.b527054522fbf7f34468d588162207fe.png

I assumed you wanted Melodyne/RipX-style pitch indicators that can show 'bent' notes. If you just want basic note/pitch indications, you could convert both tracks to MIDI, and show both in the PRV.

But I wouldn't think you would need anything visual if you're only concerned with whether you're nominally singing the right note...?

7 minutes ago, David Baay said:

I assumed you wanted Melodyne/RipX-style pitch indicators that can show 'bent' notes. If you just want basic note/pitch indications, you could convert both tracks to MIDI, and show both in the PRV.

But I wouldn't think you would need anything visual if you're only concerned with whether you're nominally singing the right note...?

Thanks for the ideas. One would be recorded (the original) and one would be real time. would your idea still work?

In the image above the squiggly line is real time (while trying to work the screen grab). 

This is a full-screen grab from ripx.
imagine the yellow is the original (which is is) and the blue is track 2, which is the microphone (which is really the base track in the song on this graph)

If they were on top of each other you are in key. If not, you are not.

I just need a visual of 2 different tracks in one place.

image.thumb.png.b54295c79b9bc218c59ecc6295531a2e.png

1 hour ago, Chris Smashe said:

Thats kinda hard when you are currently singing. The whole point of this is to have a baseline track that is "Correct" and then have your live track and be able to see if you are high or low. It works great in yousision but the number of songs is lacking. 

Im not a good singer and am trying to practice to get better. I thought of this idea yesterday and googling it did not give me what i was looking for but I was not fully sure what it would be called.

I can do it currently with a tuner hooked to each track but it is only the current note and does not show a history (which is not 100% needed but would be nice)

How did people ever manage to do this for tens of thousands of years before computers?

Melodyne Studio will do this, but not in real-time. You have your guide vocal in one track then record yourself in another track while listening to the guide track. Then once recorded you can apply melodyne to both tracks and compare how you did "visually". But you need the Studio version to show multiple tracks at the same time.

26 minutes ago, David Baay said:

As I said, the PRV can do this once you convert pitch to MIDI which the Melodyne demo can do so long as the source is just a vocal track with no accompaniment

Thanks. I will give that a try. I thought both had to be midi, so that was my question.

8 minutes ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Melodyne Studio will do this, but not in real-time. You have your guide vocal in one track then record yourself in another track while listening to the guide track. Then once recorded you can apply melodyne to both tracks and compare how you did "visually". But you need the Studio version to show multiple tracks at the same time.

Thanks.  It's looking like I'm not going to be able to do unless the PRV will work with a non-midi source which is surprising.  Maybe ill look into what it will take to create. it's really just 2 tuners that plot its values overlayed on each other. I'm surprised it does not exist for vocals. For guitar, there is something similar to what I was looking for called  FATpick

Edited by Chris Smashe

Basically what you want doesn't exist outside of the software you seem to like using. Why not just use that? 

And in my world still the best way to learn to sing is to take vocal lessons that will teach you how to control your voice. Singing along with pre recorded vocals will not help you improve much.   And looking at pitch is not a very good idea. You need to learn how to Hear pitch. 

You should have your eyes closed and concentrate on not just pitch but timber and vibrato and all the other things that make your voice what it is. 

You do the voice training lessons and then practice songs that are suitable to your voice. I can sing over 300 songs. There are defiantly more songs I cannot sing than ones I can.   Of course you can learn to sing without proper training too, but that takes longer and you might develop bad habits.  There's a lot of real good videos on singing most are free. If the first thing they don't teach you is breathing, move on to the next one. 

Edited by Cactus Music
  • Like 3

On 8/27/2022 at 11:58 AM, bdickens said:

How did people ever manage to do this for tens of thousands of years before computers?

I know, right? I get 🙄 when people show up here wanting to use Cakewalk to augment their musical capabilities. A DAW should be nothing but a way to record audio.

Pitch correction? Learn how to sing for heaven's sake. Sonny and Cher didn't need Autotune to sell millions of records.

Overdubs? How about learning some social skills and getting your musical chops together so that  whenever you have a musical idea, musicians who want to play with you will be at your place within minutes? Did Prince have 2 resort 2 such things?

Automatic double tracking? How about learning how to sing well enough that you can record two actual vocal takes? Would John Lennon take shortcuts like that?

Compression? Learn how to control your dynamics when you play and sing. Did the great Motown hits use compression?

EQ? Learn how to set up your instrument and mics, learn how to treat your room. If it needs EQ, you're doing something wrong when you're recording it.

Comping? Learn how to play your instrument or sing so that you can actually get through a 5 minute song without screwing up. Do you think Fleetwood Mac or Boston or the Beach Boys resorted to cutting the best bits out of multiple takes and  stitching them into a single "performance?" Fleetwood Mac had better things to do with their razor blades than cut and splice recording tape.

Staff editing? Capture an egret, pull out a quill, and whittle it down with your pen knife. How much hand-holding do you need?

Piano roll? Scott Joplin didn't need to edit his piano rolls, he just got good enough at playing so that he could play them right into the punching machine without screwing up. Don't get me started on "quantizing."

Virtual instruments? How about getting some good-sounding real instruments?

Mixing? Learn how to play it at the right volume so that it fits with the rest of the instruments in the first place.

Recording itself. If you want people to hear your music, why not pick up an instrument and play it for them?

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Meh 2