Cakewalk extending cut MIDI tracks

quattj

Any idea how I can stop Cakewalk from extending tracks that I have purposely cut to a certain length?

I have some MIDI songs that are longer than they should be.  I set the Now marker to where I want it to end.  I select all tracks, press S to split, then delete the extra ends off the tracks.  Certain files, when I then reload them, have one or more of the tracks extended.  See screenshots.  They should all be ending at the same time, but they are not.

I've edited 10 songs.  Four worked perfectly, the other 6 show some signs of extension.  It's not really an issue on the first 5, but the last one is getting an extra 5 seconds added back on to the track, and no matter what I have tried, I can't seem to get it to go away.  I have "split notes" enabled.  I've tried saving, and then re-splitting, and re-deleting the extra at the end, yet it keeps coming back.

toolong1.jpg

toolong2.jpg

toolong3.jpg

toolong4.jpg

toolong5.jpg

toolong6.jpg

Hi quattj  . . . have you tried slip editing the ends of the tracks, rather than splitting an deleting ? I've seen quite a few things that cause the extended Midi track endings. The tracks may have sustains on them. If you edit or add new stuff to a track, and bounce to clips, those sustains may return, and also sometimes it's needed to right click a clip and "apply trimming" to shorten the clip back to it's original length (the last Midi note) Also, I get this a lot when freezing midi tracks to audio . . . when I unfreeze them, the clip lengths get extended, so I often have to slip edit them back to the project end . . . I've never seen a workaround for that.

Sometimes to create a definite end to a project I will use a combination of ripple edit, and edit-delete special. Lots of things can happen to extend the length of Midi clip, maybe some others will have more ideas, hope this was helpful.

I believe many of them do have sustains.  It seems to be happening with long notes, which I would think that the "split notes" would take care of.  I'll give slip editing a shot and see if that helps.

EDIT: Did not help.  I dragged the ends to all line up, saved, reloaded and everything was back to how it was.  I also tried enabling "Select Controllers Along With Notes" and various options in "Delete Special" with no better results.  Splitting, deleting the excess, and then "Apply Trimming" also had no lasting effect.

Edited by quattj

Hopefully there is a setting somewhere that can be toggled to fix this. 

I loaded the same file with Anvil Studio (the file in the last screenshot above), and used the "Truncate Song" option, and it cut the end off exactly as expected, and actually shortened a few tracks where the last note ends before the cut.  The cut was made at 1:18:07.  See the results of Anvil Studio vs the Cakewalk screenshot from above.

anvil.jpg

10 hours ago, David Baay said:

Make sure you have Non-Destuctive MIDI Editing un-checked in Editing preferences.

I tried this, and it does not let me split all of the tracks where I need to.  Some split, some refuse to split.

9 hours ago, Base 57 said:

Did you bounce the clips after the slip edits? 

I just tried this after splitting/deleting the extra, and it seems to have worked!  I will have to test it on my other files to make sure it was not just a fluke.  I will also try the same doing a slip edit.  Thanks!

• Like 1

If possible, share a project/MIDI file (even just one track with a full-length clip that is not truncating as intended), letting us know exactly where you're trying to end it.

EDIT: Missed that bouncing to clips resolved it. 

Edited by David Baay

On 8/6/2022 at 5:59 AM, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Right click the clip and select "Apply Trimming"

Noted above that Apply Trimming did not work.  Bounce to clips DID work for my particular issue with these files.