Audio guitar track not responding to Guitar Rig 5 pro.

Gerry 1943

I have a guitar track that was done clean.  As is.

I am now trying to find the tone that I would like to fit the tune.

In my arsenal, I have Guitar Rig 5 Pro from Native Instrument and EZMix from Toontrack that I use.

When I bring in either of them in my track's FX area,  for one reason or other nothing happens. 

Within the software I can make any changes to the different tones,  but the track sound does not change.

What am I doing wrong?  

Or should have I searched for the correct tone before recording the track?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Greatly appreciated.

Gerry

Remember, an amp sim is a signal processor. So, the track itself will always be "clean" and unprocessed. Any change in tone occurs as you play back the clean sound through the plug-in. 

If you want to apply the plug-in sound to the track, select the track or the clips you want to process, then choose Process > Apply Effect > Audio Effects. Click OK, and the clip's waveform will now reflect the processing done by the plug-in.

Hopefully this solves your issue but if not, I'll check back. Of course, you can also just leave the plug-in. However, apply the plug-in has practical advantages, because amp sim plug-ins tend to draw a fair amount of CPU power. Applying the plug-in to a track, then removing the plug-in, will save CPU power.

Edited by Craig Anderton
  • Like 1

Thank you Craig, but when applying para #2 I get " MIXING DOWN AUDIO "  going on for ever. 

Maybe to solution would be to include the plug-in at the start..find the right tone..and record .

Thank's again...by the way I have your book on THE GUITARIST GUIDE TO SONAR....maybe I should go back and read it again?

Regards

Gerry

You should be able to insert Guitar Rig into the FX bin of the track where you already have clean guitar already recorded, and by adjusting the settings on GR as the guitar plays back you should hear the effect on the recorded guitar.  Is there a "mix" control on Guitar Rig 5? If so, set it to 100% wet.  If this doesn't work, please describe exactly how you are setting this up. What you are trying to do is completely normal -- it's the way it's supposed to work, so something's wrong.

BTW, Craig's solution above is destructive. If you decide to do it that way, make a copy of the clean track first, in case you find later that you don't want the effect you have used.

1 hour ago, Gerry 1943 said:

Thank you Craig, but when applying para #2 I get " MIXING DOWN AUDIO "  going on for ever. 

Maybe to solution would be to include the plug-in at the start..find the right tone..and record .

"Mixing down audio" should not go on forever. It seems there might be some other issue happening here. What happens if you try cutting a small clip and applying the effect to that?

Another option is to send the guitar track to a patch point, set the patch point as the input to a second track, and record the processed sound into the second track. That way you'll have rendered audio, but still have the original, unprocessed track if you change your mind.

If you have recorded dry guitar into a wave file on a track, when you put guitar rig into FX on that track you should hear guitar rig processing the audio on that track. If this is not happening for you it is because something is not turned on somewhere, make sure that guitar rig is turned on in the FX bin and see if you are getting audio into guitar rig from the input meters on guitar rig itself.

You should set this up first before mixing down, involving other tracks or cutting and splicing wave forms. This is how it is supposed to work and you need to get this right first. It is just a simple FX like every other FX.

You do not need to mix down and guitar rig does not use a lot of CPU, I run many instances of it all over the place without problems on my puny 4th generation i5 with 8 gigs of ram. Even with it running in hi quality.

When you are happy with your tone on the track, then you can mix down. If you want to then investigate different ways to run it, by putting it on a send and feeding a track to it etc then that is up to you.

But you really need to get it running normally first, like any other FX.

Edited by Tezza

@Tezza is right: It's an effect, like any other VST, and if you put it in your FX bin it should process the audio on that track. Note there is a "power switch" for each VST in the FX bin, and probably on the Guitar Rig GUI as well, so make sure those are both turned on. (Turn your speakers down before you hit that switch. 🙃 )

Thank you all.  Problem solved.  We learn something new every day.  

This had never happened before and/or I had never noticed. 

The BYPASS RACK was turned OFF.......turned it ON....everything is now working fine.

Regards 

Gerry.