How Much Should Your Studio Charge?

jesse g

Hello All,

I work full time and usually after work I used to go to my home studio and dabble in mixing.  The longer I did it, the better i became and started purchasing more equipment to go along with the studio.  I would then start-recording friends and relatives for free as I have keyboard workstation, Midi Keyboards, Acoustic and Electric guitars and basses in my studio.  I then wondered about charging folks as I was using my time and electricity on helping them over the years and how I could benefit. 

Now, I am no where near an Andrew Scheps, however, I have taken engineering classes at the University of the ARTS in Philadelphia, PA and have done an internship at  Philly International Records, a few decades back, LOL  (That Major Studio has been closed for several years now). 😁

This video helped me in determining that I needed to begin charging for my services.

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 1

There are many angles to this subject. A lot depends on the client you are going for, which in some cases might be anyone who walks through the door or it might be more niche.

Some clients are going after a dream while others have more concrete objectives. Most clients will want some idea of your work no matter what you charge. Quality is the first consideration. A solid portfolio of some of your best work probably helps.

Not sure of the market you are in. Philadelphia? That's a pretty big market if you can get some visibility. Many larger media companies have their own in house engineers though.Rather than tracking someone down every time they have a project they hire. That way they know they have the talent.

I don't claim to be an expert on this subject, but from my observations you have to know who to call and where to go.

Tim,

Client and customers are no problem, I've been recording folks and groups for years.  I just figured it's time to benefit from my services and space, and stop considering this journey a hobby.  I shared the YouTube video to show others what to conciser when pricing out your services.

2 hours ago, jesse g said:

Tim,

Client and customers are no problem, I've been recording folks and groups for years.  I just figured it's time to benefit from my services and space, and stop considering this journey a hobby.  

Of course there could be a risk of losing those "hobby" priced folks once you raise their prices. Let's hope not.

22 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Of course there could be a risk of losing those "hobby" priced folks once you raise their prices. Let's hope not.

Yea Bapu,

I know, but for the most part I think the ones that really like to get the work done,  will stick around. 

Just because you would do it for free doesn't mean you shouldn't charge.

Charging gets lots of positive outcomes, like respect and people showing up on time.

As a child, charging the neighbor to mow his grass seemed somehow wrong, but as an adult, I see he would have been fine with me charging anything appropriate and doing the work.

You have a skill that is worthy of being compensated.

At the same time, you have a hobby you love. Don't price out anyone you love working with. Maybe forgive charges. Be generous. But make it clear that your time has value too.

I recently had a friend really shop working with me... like was it worth his time to come play guitar for an hour. He has since scheduled twice to come record and been a no-show both times. I'm pretty sure if I charged something appropriate I wouldn't have to deal with that, either b/c he'd show or wouldn't book.

You deserve respect as an artist too. Your time is valuable too.

I sound tough, but I'm a weeny. I don't normally charge anything and I get treated like a hero by some and crap by others. I have been mentioned in liner notes on a few records. That's my big claim to fame. And I have many hundreds of albums as examples of my work. Live field recordings. Home studio stuff. The gambit. Actually, the trick for me is finding people I want to hang with in my space. They tend to come and go like friends. The band you are working with displaces the others you might work with. And like friends, when they band moves on, a hole is left. It can take time to fill the hole with whomever is next, but that's part of the journey too.

Edited by Gswitz
  • Like 1

The last job I did was a favor for a Tim McGraw impersonator. 

He was facebooking himself to chicks all through the session. He was set to do a concert and his promoter wanted to have CD's to sell.  They were considered favors. 

This whole thing was shady from the start. He had user written all over him. Not the least bit interested in the tech or how I did what I did. He wanted a master and he wanted it cheap. He happened to know me through some other people.

I was dumb enough to oblige because I thought I was helping him out. 

He ended up in a fight with his promoter and all my work still sits on a hard drive. I hate to delete it, but I know I'll never use it.

• Like 1