IKrazy MODO Bass Pricing at Best Service

cclarry

MODO is currently my only serious option for a Hofner 500/1 Beatles' / McCartney violin bass (I'm in love with the tone of the Hofner 500/1, as I am with a lot of Beatles' gear). MODO is really good and it's a lot less taxing on my system than sample libraries. But I still find the better detailed and well scripted KONTAKT libraries are superior (more realistic sounding).  I'm not sure if I'm going to pick up MODO 2. Can anyone who's upgraded from MODO to MODO 2 compare the two? I've searched but have yet to find any reviews.  FTR, I don't use patterns, I play my own parts, so while I realize that feature is really important to some people -- and an area of improvement for the new version -- it's not a factor for me. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Can anyone who's upgraded from MODO to MODO 2 compare the two? I've searched but have yet to find any reviews. 

It hasn't been released yet.

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

But I still find the better detailed and well scripted KONTAKT libraries are superior (more realistic sounding).

Could you point me in the direction of these libraries, I have only got the bass's that come with Komplete 13, and, well, personally, I'll take MODO instead every time.

2 hours ago, Heath Row said:

It hasn't been released yet.

Could you point me in the direction of these libraries, I have only got the bass's that come with Komplete 13, and, well, personally, I'll take MODO instead every time.

@Heath RowI'm mainly referring to Orange Tree Samples bass guitar libraries. The only time I've used MODO in the final production is when I really want that Hofner tone. MODO does a really good job of getting the tone but there are certain nuances that are missing that keep it from being as authentic as the OTS sample libraries. Consequently,  I've been using an OTS Fender James Jamerson preset most of the time when I want a Hofner-- unless I  can pull off a believable enough part with MODO's modeled Hofner (most of the time I've started with MODO, I've replaced it with OTS -- it just sounds more realistic). I think the Scarbee Rickenbacker library with KOMPLETE is pretty good and well scripted.  It's not as detailed as the more recent OTS basses (to be fair, the Scarbee basses have been around a long time and were pretty much the gold standard when they first came out, which I believe is easily more than 10 years for some of them) . But if you put up the Scarbee Rickenbacker that comes with KOMPLETE against MODO, I find that the Scarbee is the clear winner for realism. That's what my ears hear, and I spent two decades playing drums professionally and played with a number of bassists that played Rickenbackers and am pretty picky. The MODO sounds really good for modelled bass, but if it's well exposed in the mix, I don't think it's going to fool a discerning ear. 

Just to be transparent,  I've worked with OTS in the past and I've known the founder for more than a decade (I've consulted to a couple of dozen sample and plugin developers, including other KONTAKT devs that make bass and guitar libraries and am also friends with devs like Andrea from Pettinhouse; I've been using samples since the 80s). 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

For me, MODO Bass is just easier and sounds better, easier on the system as well. It never makes it to the final, as I just use it as a place holder during the creation process, just for simplicity. The bass part is always played in with a real bass in the end.

14 minutes ago, Heath Row said:

For me, MODO Bass is just easier and sounds better, easier on the system as well. It never makes it to the final, as I just use it as a place holder during the creation process, just for simplicity. The bass part is always played in with a real bass in the end.

Well, in that case, then it's perfect. It definitely is far easier on system resources than an extensively sampled, well programmed KONTAKT bass library. I'm completely in agreement that nothing beats the real thing of a real player with fingers (or a pick or sticks) playing real instruments in real time. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

The only reason I have any interest in MODO 2 is the upright basses!! I guess MODO 1 owners are out of luck. I,too, use MODO as a place holder as I own and play several electric basses. There are some jazz and old school blues and r&b projects of mine that need that upright warmness but I guess I will get by with the ones I have.