How do we play Cakewalk through headphones?

Mick Avoidant

Question

9 answers to this question

USB? Bluetooth? Hard wired to a different interface?

In those cases, you have to tell Cakewalk the output device you want to use. It doesn't always assume it's the Windows interface. You can have Windows and Cakewalk pointing to two different output interfaces.

How do the headphones connect?

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Mick Avoidant said:

Cackwalk won't play through headphones. Every other software will send to the headphones, but this one sends to my laptop's speakers whether or not I plug in headphones. I've tried disabling the speakers in Win11. What have I got to do?

You need to understand how the audio devices work on your computer.    

For example, I configured my Windows 10 parameters/devices so that Cakewalk communicates through my audio/MIDI device's ASIO driver while at the same time, I send the audio from other software (such as a web browser) through the motherboard audio codec (as controlled by Windows' Audio/Sound) to the front audio output of my PC.  I could plug in a pair of headphones, but for my needs I chose to connect it to my audio/MIDI interface.

If I want Cakewalk to send the audio to the headphone jack on the front of my PC, or the output jack on the back of my PC, or even the built-in speaker, I change some basic settings in using Cakewalk's [P]references.  Specifically, (1) I change the Driver Mode from ASIO to Windows Audio (shared) [aka WASAPI  (shared)] and then (2) change my Audio > Device Output to whichever output I want to use.

Normally, P is the shortcut for Preferences.  From the Preferences panel, (1) Audio > Playback and Recording > Driver Mode lets users select/change the Driver Mode.  (2) Audio > Devices > Output Drivers lets users choose which outputs Cakewalk uses.

In addition the track control [O]utput widget lets users decide where to send the audio output from each audio track. 

Edited by User 905133
to fix typos
  • Great Idea 1

On 2/23/2022 at 1:38 AM, User 905133 said:

You need to understand how the audio devices work on your computer.    

For example, I configured my Windows 10 parameters/devices so that Cakewalk communicates through my audio/MIDI device's ASIO driver while at the same time, I send the audio from other software (such as a web browser) through the motherboard audio codec (as controlled by Windows' Audio/Sound) to the front audio output of my PC.  I could plug in a pair of headphones, but for my needs I chose to connect it to my audio/MIDI interface.

If I want Cakewalk to send the audio to the headphone jack on the front of my PC, or the output jack on the back of my PC, or even the built-in speaker, I change some basic settings in using Cakewalk's [P]references.  Specifically, (1) I change the Driver Mode from ASIO to Windows Audio (shared) [aka WASAPI  (shared)] and then (2) change my Audio > Device Output to whichever output I want to use.

Normally, P is the shortcut for Preferences.  From the Preferences panel, (1) Audio > Playback and Recording > Driver Mode lets users select/change the Driver Mode.  (2) Audio > Devices > Output Drivers lets users choose which outputs Cakewalk uses.

In addition the track control [O]utput widget lets users decide where to send the audio output from each audio track. 

I tried this and the headphones weren't showing up on the devices 😟

image.png.dff5c6a41545fe0e712ca64cfac7759f.pngimage.png.8db68609d782dc490f21cc96d18a6651.png

38 minutes ago, Yosef Stanton said:

I tried this and the headphones weren't showing up on the devices 😟

On my Win 10 computer, there is no specific "headphone" output to select on the computer or within Cakewalk's Preferences, just the sound chip,  which reads "RealTek High Definition Audio", etc. But the headphones work.
That's with standard plug-in headphones.

Edited by 57Gregy
Added info.

I am looking at the settings on my PC now.  I usually rename my devices at the Win 10 level.  Not sure if I use Device Manager to access the Properties page for that.  I'll have to track it down.  I have my one of the two audio output jacks on the front of my PC renamed HP (front) --> FW-1884 (7/8) (High Definition Audio Device . . . .).  

I am looking at a Windows Sound Settings page that looks different than yours.  Mine says "Choose your output device" and has an arrow in the box that allows me to choose.  It doesn't say "Select a device you want to enable or disable."

JMO: Windows doesn't make finding the right page easy.  That's part of why I rename the devices at the Windows.  I also change icons if possible.  For example, if I have a PCI Card and I am using that, I use a PCI Card icon instead of the default.

I will have to retrace my setup steps.   

PS: I am assuming you have something plugged into the headphones jack.  I just pulled mine plug, Cakewalk detected the change (because Windows and/or the MoBo "Chip" said it was no longer connected), and Cakewalk asked me if I want to change my setup.  

This might take a while, so if something I say in the meantime solves it, please let me know!

Double check:  You are using WASAPI Shared, right?

NEW: When I went into Device Manager after unplugging the headphone plug, I see that the MoBo/Chip/Windows system now lists  the device as hidden.  Not sure you know how to navigate there.  On my system (might be different on yours):

• Device Manager > Audio inputs and outputs  (expanded) shows what Windows sees and reports as my audio I/Os.
  • Device Manager Menu Bar > View > Show hidden devices
    • Since it is unplugged, "HP (front) --> FW-1884 (7/8) (High Definition Audio Device)" is greyed out.
    • When I plug it back in, it takes about 10-15 seconds but:
      • the MoBo/Chip/Codec detects the change,
      • communicates somehow with Windows 10,
      • Device Manager does an automatic refresh,
      • and the "HP (front) . . . " device is no longer greyed out.
      • [I assume that when I reboot Cakewalk it will be there] - sec
  • Rebooted Cakewalk (I had closed it before.)
    • Cakewalk detected the change and asked me about accepting the change.
    • I think I said "OK."
    • "HP (front) --> FW-1884 (7/8) (High Definition Audio Device)" is now in Cakewalk!!!

Hope this helps.  If so, I will revisit the above to prune it down by getting rid commentary on the process and just leaving the important steps.   

Edited by User 905133

1 hour ago, 57Gregy said:

On my Win 10 computer, there is no specific "headphone" output to select on the computer or within Cakewalk's Preferences, just the sound chip,  which reads "RealTek High Definition Audio", etc. But the headphones work.
That's with standard plug-in headphones.

Yeah.  That's why I like to rename stuff so I know what's what so it makes sense to me: 

• HP (front) --> FW-1884 (7/8) (High Definition Audio Device)
    • HP (front) tells me the audio is coming from my HP's front jack
    • that runs into lines 7 and 8 on the FW-1884
    • but which Windows would just call "High Definition Audio Device" if I didn't personalize it.

I really like need and depend on friendly names!! 

Edited by User 905133