Weird Browser View on Startup

sjoens

I notice your Workspaces seems to be set to none?   Not sure if this would cause that. Becuase I do use a few pre sets I made my screen is always exactly correct the way I want it, But--

I opened a blank  template, I  set my workspace to none and the whole browser view disappeared completely and there was no double arrow. So there were no views to see. So I inserted the Browser by pressing B and then added the synth rack. You are correct that I can minimize the Browser but there's no arrows to do that with the synth rack. Weird for sure. 

So are you using Screensets?  If there's a bug then I'll assume it's something got messed up in a screen set. 

Not sure what I did as I typically don't use workspaces or screensets. Never seen this before. It simply presented itself yesterday and seems to affect only one project, so it could be something I did. This one was saved with the Browser in it's usual horizontal collapsed state. I never collapse the Browser views vertically so this is especially weird. 

The 2nd Browser anomaly happened a month ago but haven't seen it lately. Probably project specific as well.

Edited by sjoens

I have a lot of test themes that I haven't updated to conform with all the changes over the past year because I just use them as reference points for things I tried in the theme editor.  (No need to spend time updating.)

Sometimes I get UI anomalies based on a non-updated theme.  I know its a long shot, but this might be from something similar. 

Just looking at your screen shot again what is impossible to duplicate is the Browser has the double sideways arrows. It normally would have an up arrow. 

Yesterday I’m was typing out my narrative for the next tutorial which just happens to be about the Browser view. I proceeded to explore every docking option.  

It’s sort of a View I’ve never bothered with as I always have the Synth Rack at the top and the browser below. I’ll drag either one bigger or smaller if needed. And I’ll use B to get it out of my way. 

I learned a few things by poking around. You can undock by dragging  any of the 3 views Browser,  Synth Rack and Help Module to the Track View area . The Right side docking space disappeared and there are no arrows to pull it out. It’s gone. 

You can remove the 3 views by clicking the x or using their hide /show keys B, alt9 and Y.  They return to where you left them.

If you grab any of the 3 views and move it right the Blue “ you can dock here” appears and you can dock the view on the right  again.

The browser and synth rack can also be dragged to the multi dock but not Help. 

I didn’t realize that the  Right hand space was just that, a space to dock those 3 views. Same as the space at the top of the track view which seems exclusive for the Multi Dock only.

Conclusion is the skylight interface has 4 docking locations at each edge of the Track View.  But only certain views are legal for each location?  

I think I now discovered all docking scenarios and your view is definitely not one of those. 

Edited by John Vere

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

Yesterday I’m was typing out my narrative for the next tutorial which just happens to be about the Browser view. I proceeded to explore every docking option.  
 . . .
I think I now discovered all docking scenarios . . . . 

Nice explorations! I am a big fan of exploring the UI and then setting up ad hoc workflow customizations.  I like that we can dock some of the views as either full height or partial height as well as either full width or partial width depending on which views we are using and the docking status of the views.

You don't mention these full/partial height/width options, and I am not sure if you are planning to enumerate in your video all possible combinations like you tried to do with the insert soft synth/insert instrument methods. As was discussed in another thread, I think it would be overwhelming (esp. for those new to Cakewalk) to enumerate all of the possible combinations in the video. 

You might want to consider just mentioning that there are various options (maybe showing one or two as quick examples) and then put a link to a text-based document with static screen shots in the comments section (and just below the embedded video) that shows the logic behind having the options, a taxonomy of the options, and then examples.) 

Also, you might want to have someone proofread it for attitudinal bias--such as a statement that having options is a bad thing.  I agree with your comments when you say having options can be confusing (esp. to those who are new to using Cakewalk), but to me that doesn't mean they should be removed.  Rather, I would think/hope that teaching materials can show the basics and give a small taste of intermediate and advanced options.  

Edited by User 905133
to add some missing punctuation
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, John Vere said:

I think I now discovered all docking scenarios and your view is definitely not one of those. 

I'm special.... :D

I found:

The "partial" views are within Browser only which can have one or all it's views there open or collapsed within Browser.

All Browser views can float independently.

You can dock Inspector on the far right & Browser on the far left (reverse of default).

You can dock Browser & Inspector together on the far left and either side of each other.

You cannot dock Browser & Inspector together on the far right. It's one or the other.

Browser windows can be Multdocked (except Help) but Inspector obviously cannot.

You can dock Inspector on either side of Console View but Browser cannot be docked anywhere in Console View.

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

Thanks for you excellent advice @User 905133  I’d love to have as much input from other experienced users as possible.

With You Tube if you screw up you can’t edit the video. You have to totally delete it and add the new version. This is why I deleted my first 10 tutorials I made over last Winter. They probably took 100’s of hours to make but I found flaws in each that even though minor I couldn’t except.
And as I go forward I’m learning more about Cakewalk than ever. So I want to include new info or workflow ideas. 

You wouldn’t believe how many details I edit out as I go. I start out with  Word , Cakewalk  and the Documentation page side by side and start exploring every dialogue box and configuration associated with the topic feature. This might be 4 pages which I’ve learned equates to a 16 or more minute video. I try for under 10 min.

So it takes hours of careful editing. But here’s the catch. What might seem unimportant to me might just be the perfect thing for someone else. 
Because there are already a zillion Cakewalk quick start videos I’m trying to not take the easy way out and just touch the surface. 
But how deeply should I dig?  Cakewalk is almost bottomless!  
I feel I’m getting better at this and then because of that I will probably redo the 6 videos I just did. No problem. It’s part of the plan to post these, get feedback. Back to editing and update. I figured it would take all Winter.
I just had shoulder replacement surgery so it’s a 6 month excuse to work on this. 
I can’t even play my guitar or keyboards right now and I’ll be selling my drum kit as I’m told no way ever by the surgeon 

3 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I just had shoulder replacement surgery so it’s a 6 month excuse to work on this. 

And maybe gain a few #s. :D I had similar surgery a few years ago. Never healed quit right so I hope your recovery goes well.