Accidental reverb chamber.

Shane_B.

I gutted and remodeled the front entrance to our house. I ripped out the dated tile floor and put new down,  patched the walls and repainted, stripped and restored all the dark stained doors and trim. Everything is the same except I added crown moulding on the vaulted ceiling and added a decoupling layer under the new tile.

I finished painting the entry doors and reinstalled them. It's quite a process. I had to spray 5 coats of primer because I couldn't get the good stuff from Sherman Williams and then I did the normal 3 coats of enamel. 

When I closed the doors it instantly turned in to a reverb chamber. It blew my mind. It was not like that before I did the remodelling. The only change was the addition of the crown moulding. That has to be it. I also added a plastic decoupling membrane under the tile but I doubt that had any effect. I use it on all my tile jobs and never noticed a sound difference.

I sat in there on the floor playing my acoustic for an hour. It sounds incredible in there. Here's a couple pics of the orange membrane and the finished room with a view of the crown moulding. The front door is still original. It's the last thing I need to restore and refinish.

20210531_163315_HDR~2.jpg

20210616_220928_HDR~2.jpg

I've never made an IR before but I'll give it a try and post. It would be cool to use it on my recordings. First I have to fix my DAW. No video output. :(

I remodelled my bathroom a while ago. It's huge with a vaulted ceiling too but no crown moulding. It has almost no reverb. I'm pretty convinced it's the crown.

Any strengthening of surfaces will increase reflection properties for sure. New tile probably contributed the most since that is going to get reflections from everywhere (especially with a vaulted ceiling) and is literally hard as a rock; but crown moulding also acts like the lattice in a guitar (more so if glued rather than just nailed). Another coat of paint was reinforcement as well.

Rooms with nice reverb are awesome in my opinion. To this day I still whistle the intro to "Patience" when entering concrete stairwells. I actually learned to play guitar practicing in the bottom of a 5-story stairwell when I had the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

I've never made an IR before but I'll give it a try and post. It would be cool to use it on my recordings. First I have to fix my DAW. No video output. :(

I remodelled my bathroom a while ago. It's huge with a vaulted ceiling too but no crown moulding. It has almost no reverb. I'm pretty convinced it's the crown.

If you did make an IR you could do a collab where everyone uses it to a degree to give the sense that they all played in your room.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, craigb said:

Looks painful to walk on! 😮

😜

😄

It was painful to install too. It's murder on the knees even with knee pads kneeling down for hours. It took 2 days.

I looked in to making IRs on youtube. If I can remember how to get my video back on my daw I'll make one. I know what's wrong. The Intel video is stuck at 4K and but it sees my monitor as 1080. IOW I have a 1/4 of the screen displayed. All I can see is the upper left corner of the login screen which is a blank area. I forget how I fixed it before. I think I did a blind login then a shortcut to resize windows or something like that. I really wish I could find a G.D. video card that's not triple what it should be. It's b.s. and pissing me off. I'm dead in the water right now.