New Album Length Standard?

Johnbee58

I'll never forget the first time I heard PFDSOTM on CD. The first thing I heard was a faint sound of a heartbeat, that slowly came into focus. Not the crackle and rolling sound of a needle running through grooves imprinted in vinyl, or the steady hiss of graphite against a tape head!!

I wrote a song about the debate of vinyl/CD. And as much as I loved albums, give me CD any day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jude77 said:

I just read a very article saying that songs are getting shorter and now average well under 3:00.  The reason they offered for this is that streaming sites (Spotify in particular) pay by the NUMBER of songs an artist has played and not the LENGTH of time an artist is played.  The logic that follows is that shorter songs mean more plays means more income.  I don't know if he's right, but it was an interesting idea. 

I think it would definitely be more fair to pay based on airtime than by the song however, to prevent every song from going on forever, maybe something like a flat amount per song than something based on time up to a cutoff like six minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grem said:

I'll never forget the first time I heard PFDSOTM on CD. The first thing I heard was a faint sound of a heartbeat, that slowly came into focus. Not the crackle and rolling sound of a needle running through grooves imprinted in vinyl, or the steady hiss of graphite against a tape head!!

I wrote a song about the debate of vinyl/CD. And as much as I loved albums, give me CD any day.

I used to have some really nice speakers (for the day - the usual one cabinet with subwoofer, midrange and tweeter).  I did a neat trick with them instead of the usual method of putting them on the ground with the subwoofer at the bottom.  I hung them on the walls upside down which gave the music a lot more definition.  When the first CD's came out I immediately bought a player and a few selections.  The very first one was such a drastic improvement that my 2,000+ albums were put up for sale the next week!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, craigb said:

I used to have some really nice speakers (for the day - the usual one cabinet with subwoofer, midrange and tweeter).  I did a neat trick with them instead of the usual method of putting them on the ground with the subwoofer at the bottom.  I hung them on the walls upside down which gave the music a lot more definition.  When the first CD's came out I immediately bought a player and a few selections.  The very first one was such a drastic improvement that my 2,000+ albums were put up for sale the next week!

My friend said, "it will be a waste buying rock on CD because you will only benefit with classic music". We were born in 74 and it was 81-82 so we were not that old, but ohh so funny.