New Sonar Guitar Rig 7 and Melodyne issue

Posted (edited)

I decided to add some new lead guitar work to a track. I set an audio track to record and added Guitar Rig 7. (Newly updated)

I needed to tune up a few spots so put Melodyne 5 advanced on the guitar I just recorded. When I did it, Guitar Rig stopped sounding. I could get it to play again.

After some time, the easiest fix I have found was to simply save my GR7 preset, delete the plug, then add it again.

After doing so, everything was back to normal. Then went back in and edited something else with the Melodyne that was already instantiated and Guitar Rig went dead again. This happened 5 or 6 times.

Finally decided to try turning off plugin before edits. That seemed to prevent GR from going dead on me. Is there something I'm missing? I always uncheck "Zero controllers when play stops" Yes, I know GR7 is not a VI, but an effects plugin. Known issue? Could be a bug in GR7, Sonar, or both. I have not tried it in CbB yet.

UPDATE: Just tried it in CWbB and GR7 goes dead the exact same way

Edited by Scott C. Stahl

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Scott C. Stahl said:

I decided to add some new lead guitar work to a track. I set an audio track to record and added Guitar Rig 7. (Newly updated)

I needed to tune up a few spots so put Melodyne 5 advanced on the guitar I just recorded. When I did it, Guitar Rig stopped sounding. I could get it to play again.

After some time, the easiest fix I have found was to simply save my GR7 preset, delete the plug, then add it again.

After doing so, everything was back to normal. Then went back in and edited something else with the Melodyne that was already instantiated and Guitar Rig went dead again. This happened 5 or 6 times.

Finally decided to try turning off plugin before edits. That seemed to prevent GR from going dead on me. Is there something I'm missing? I always uncheck "Zero controllers when play stops" Yes, I know GR7 is not a VI, but an effects plugin. Known issue? Could be a bug in GR7, Sonar, or both. I have not tried it in CbB yet.

UPDATE: Just tried it in CWbB and GR7 goes dead the exact same way

On your Melodyned clip/track use "Bounce to clips" once you've finished tinkering around with it. Then add Gtr Rig

J

Edited by Jeremy Oakes

You can submit a report but my understanding is you never run processed material into Melodyne.

It ignores everything and only uses the raw audio file.It would struggle with heavy processing anyway. It likes clean, loud and clear.  
Like you would not print a lot of reverb to a vocal track and expect Melodyne to create the blobs correctly. 
So it’s not clear to me how you were set up. Normally Guitar rig goes in the FX bin. 
To use Melodyne you highlight just the part that needs editing and apply as a Regional Effect. 
Guitar rig is out of the equation. Then once you have edited the audio you render the clip back to normal. 

6 hours ago, John Vere said:

You can submit a report but my understanding is you never run processed material into Melodyne.

It ignores everything and only uses the raw audio file.It would struggle with heavy processing anyway. It likes clean, loud and clear.  
Like you would not print a lot of reverb to a vocal track and expect Melodyne to create the blobs correctly. 
So it’s not clear to me how you were set up. Normally Guitar rig goes in the FX bin. 
To use Melodyne you highlight just the part that needs editing and apply as a Regional Effect. 
Guitar rig is out of the equation. Then once you have edited the audio you render the clip back to normal. 

Hi John. I was using GR7 in the effects bin. I've never used Melodyne on processed audio. I might do that for some interesting effects, but I doubt it.

The only thing I'm editing is raw audio. Instantiating Melodyne on the raw audio as a region (Which is how I always use it as well) causes GR7 to go dead. 

As long as I shut GR7 off in the effects bin before creating the region or editing too much, it's fine.

A simple solution, but it shouldn't be going dead at all in the first place.

Since it's happening on both CwbB and Sonar I suspect a GR7 bug, but who knows?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

On your Melodyned clip/track use "Bounce to clips" once you've finished tinkering around with it. Then add Gtr Rig

J

Trouble is having the processed sound play as I make or alter Melodyne adjustments is important. 

As I said, I'm good as long as I make sure to shut off the effect in the bin before creating the Melodyne region.

BTW I always bounce to clip after Melodyne adjustments when I'm completely happy with what I hear, but I make sure to save 1st!

A couple projects I have will crash on any render of Melodyne. I've sent dmp files to the Bakers, but the issue is intermittent. They have replied, but no answers

14 hours ago, parboo12 said:

Maybe freeze guitar track first before using Melodyne?

Hello J.

That'd be one way to go!

It's faster for me to just shut off the GR7, fire up a Melodyne region, then turn GR7 back on.

Easy, but another couple unnecessary clicks in the workflow to avoid something that shouldn't be happening in the 1st place. Hopefully addressed by the bakers or NI, but not holding my breath!

What I do is make a guitar bus, and put Guitar Rig (and any other processing) on that bus. 

The only thing on the guitar track(s) is the unprocessed direct out from the guitar, and all guitar tracks go straight to the guitar bus instead of the master bus. 

With that setup you can put Melodyne on the audio clip on the track (I use"region fx" on the clip, instead of adding Melodyne to the effects chain.)  Play around all you want in Melodyne, and you can still hear it through GR on the  guitar bus.

When you're done in Melodyne, you can bounce to track as suggested, or you can "render" the region fx which bakes your Melodyne edits into the direct out guitar clip, and removes melodyne from the project.

Works for me!

3 hours ago, A Tolerable Quietude said:

What I do is make a guitar bus, and put Guitar Rig (and any other processing) on that bus. 

The only thing on the guitar track(s) is the unprocessed direct out from the guitar, and all guitar tracks go straight to the guitar bus instead of the master bus. 

With that setup you can put Melodyne on the audio clip on the track (I use"region fx" on the clip, instead of adding Melodyne to the effects chain.)  Play around all you want in Melodyne, and you can still hear it through GR on the  guitar bus.

When you're done in Melodyne, you can bounce to track as suggested, or you can "render" the region fx which bakes your Melodyne edits into the direct out guitar clip, and removes melodyne from the project.

Works for me!

I actually have it go to a "Lead Guitar" Bus but wanted separate processing for the individual channels. Didn't want a global GR7 for them all.

Still could prob create a separate Bus for just that particular track, put GR7 there then send that Bus output to the main Lead Guitar Bus. 

Great idea!

I'll try that out as an experiment. I'm sure that would work tho. Shame to have to go thru any of this to get a plug to work as it should!

Thanks!

On 5/8/2024 at 8:20 AM, Scott C. Stahl said:

Guitar Rig stopped sounding. I could get it to play

Lately it happens to me too. It happens after I close the project. When I re-open the project  GR7 is silent. I realy don't know the reason.