MIDI Crosstalk issues

Hello everyone, having serious midi cross talk issues. No matter what i change the input of the tracks (midi), i get notes triggering in other instrument tracks. I use a NI KK s49 MK11, tried unchecking/checking my midi devices to no avail ?

Assuming each midi track is routed to a single sound-producing midi device on one and only one midi channel, have you made sure that the midi outputs of those devices are not being introduced into the data flow?  Sometimes this can happen with software synths if plugins have their midi outputs enabled.  

As @User 905133   said it is most likely caused by VST instruments having  "enable midi output"  checked. 

Also if you are using Midi USB or DIN connections and the midi tracks are going to hardware those as well can loopback. 

You can avoid it by choosing only your midi controller as the input device. But that might change later if you open Sonar/Cakewalk  with that controller disconnected then Sonar will default to OMNI or None which then all inputs are active. 

Screenshot(705).png.c63fc160cf299ac9b43743bd669a17d2.png

Edited by John Vere

Agreed. The OP stated it didn't matter what MIDI input assignments he made, but I think he must be overlooking something. Ideally they should all be set to a single channel of a hardware controller if not specifically intended to be receiving input from a MIDI-generating VST.

One other possibility would be that some synth input assignments on the audio side of Instrument tracks have gotten crossed up which has been known to happen when hardware ports come and go from the system and/or when certain sequences of undo/redo/insert/replace synth are executed.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Chregg said:

Hello everyone, having serious midi cross talk issues. No matter what i change the input of the tracks (midi), i get notes triggering in other instrument tracks. I use a NI KK s49 MK11, tried unchecking/checking my midi devices to no avail ?

On all MIDI tracks and SITs, make sure their inputs are set to specific MIDI controllers and specific MIDI channels.

On all VSTI plugins, make sure MIDI out is deselected.

Edited by Promidi