Deleting Takes ?

1) Mute the track to verify its this track

2) Click on the track number to highlight the entire track and hit Delete to remove everything

3) If it's a MIDI track, open Event List and check for notes & controllers

• Like 1

Use Overwrite mode. You won't have this problem. Comping mode can make a confusing mess if you don't totally understand how it works. I never use it for that reason. I'd rather just use more tracks. Everybody has a workflow. 

4 hours ago, sjoens said:

Interesting it's the default setting, though you can make a project template using any of the others as default.

Exactly. I get screwed up when I start a project from a Midi file or a default template. It's caused me a lot of trouble over the years. I hate that comping is the default. I think it should be a global choice in preferences.

I was thrilled to see that overwrite is the default in Cakewalk Next. The dude who programed that software at least was smarter than the Sonar dude! 

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

I hate that comping is the default. I think it should be a global choice in preferences.

Well, there are a LOT of people who just can't nail perfect takes the way that you do.

I, too, think it should be a global choice, though.

I have to confess that I'm too lazy about creating/modifying project templates. They save so much time and aggravation, and it's easy to have your most-used up at the top of the list. Track templates, too, such a handy idea and bypasses so many steps.

I’m by no means perfect unless it’s a bass part😎

It might take me 20 times to record a guitar solo. I just keep overdubbing until I nail  it.

I have no patience for gluing together a bunch of badly played parts. Those attempts always sound stupid to me.

For the left over blunders  I can then simply punch in or better yet use Melodyne to move a note to where it belongs. 
Tape deck mode rocks!  

There’s also the fact that I need to be able to go play these songs live!