Sonar 8.5 Producer: Display plugins by File Name?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, sjoens said:

It's in Menu Bar Options > Global... > VST Plug-ins, but not sure it's necessary as it's not necessary in CbB.
reset.jpg.f56ef1b2e8918390d92c36df0c80b33e.jpg

In Sonar 8  go to Menu Bar Options > Initialization File... , fill in the option, click Set and Close, then close and reopen Sonar.  Rescanning shouldn't be necessary but won't hurt anything if you do.
sonar8ini.jpg.db9fae56280cec8b99c2086b3975d9c0.jpg

FWIW, this does work in CbB, but all my attempts to make it work in Sonar 8 have failed.  Nothing changes.  This may be not do-able, current Windows has broken something, or a different qualifier is needed.

If nothing else, you can rename the plugins yourself within Plugin Manager.  Right-click FX Bin > Audio FX > Plug-in Layouts > Manage Layouts...
sonar8pim.jpg.460b66bcb34480d0d6e15809089f284c.jpg

Interestingly enough, this works! Yaaaaaaayyyyyyyy! I've managed to create two layouts, one for FX, and one for SoftSynths.

Edited by Annabelle
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sjoens said:

What's the fun in that? :D

I was thinking of the alternate way to do a reset and rescan, not the fun method of manually renaming them. As you expertly describe above  😉 

Cakewalk Plugin Manager, which I use all time to manage/create custom plugin lists.

2 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Odd that you can't rename DXs with the Plug-in Properties button, only VSTs.

You can but...it's a permissions thing.  If you run the plug-in manager as Admin, you can rename DX plug-ins (but won't see a user's VST plug-ins as they are per user).

I see no way to run it as admin inside CbB/Sonar, and all 3 buttons are grayed out when run standalone, admin or not.  They are labeled VST Configutation, tho so maybe not so odd.  9_9

Run it outside as admin.  There are command line switches to run it in the right context (I forget what - I use Task Manager to find out what they are when it's called from within CbB etc).

Edited by Xoo

6 hours ago, sjoens said:

Which "this" worked for you?

I meant to say "FX" in my previous post, but my keyboard has been acting strange in Microsoft Edge. It seems to deliberately miss characters even though I've typed all the right characters. I wonder if it's the latest version of Microsoft Edge that has some kind of bug. Isn't there an "Edit Post" link next to my posts?

4 hours ago, Xoo said:

You can but...it's a permissions thing.  If you run the plug-in manager as Admin, you can rename DX plug-ins (but won't see a user's VST plug-ins as they are per user).

Funny you say that, as I'm not only a user of my machine, but I'm the owner and administrator as well.

31 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Click the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner of your post.

I don't use a mouse. I can't see. I would press enter on those dots, but it takes me to the previous page.

5 hours ago, Annabelle said:

I don't use a mouse. I can't see. I would press enter on those dots, but it takes me to the previous page.

This may be an accessibility problem for the Cakewalk Discuss.  The 3 dots have tool-tip  "More options ..." and are in the upper-right border of the individual post, such as the one I am replying to.   It is just past the button labelled "Author."  Oh, sorry, that button isn't shown on posts of your own.  But the dots are there.  The options that are listed are Report, Share, and Edit.  Edit appears only to the author.

I don't know how voice assistants interact and cannot be more helpful than that.  There's no indication of keyboard shortcuts.  I can tab to the "More options..." but I don't know how you work through the pop-up list of options.

Edited by orcmid
Additional information.

Hey Annabelle is all this happening because you installed Cakewalk by Bandlab on the same computer as Sonar 8.5? 
It seems Cakewalk has over written  some settings in what must have been a shared folder. 

I am thinking there might even be some other stuff you might not have found yet if this is the case. 

I wonder if re installing Sonar might fix it?  

That could explain why it's not working for me either, as I have all versions of Sonar from 8.0 onward installed.

However, I ran the 8.3.1 update very last thing which replaced the latest Plug-in Manager with the 8.3.1 version.  Seeming identical except for an older file date and the Windows 98 style frames and icons. 

The only way to tell if newer installs are messing with Sonar 8 is to remove everything and reinstall 8.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, John Vere said:

Hey Annabelle is all this happening because you installed Cakewalk by Bandlab on the same computer as Sonar 8.5? 
It seems Cakewalk has over written  some settings in what must have been a shared folder. 

I am thinking there might even be some other stuff you might not have found yet if this is the case. 

I wonder if re installing Sonar might fix it?  

1. Yes, I did install Cakewalk on the same machine as Sonar.

2. No, Reinstalling Sonar didn't change a thing.

3. If you read post 117, I made a solution by creating two layouts that work, and I can even add plugins to them!

Edited by Annabelle
  • Like 1