Sonar/Next crashes and bug reporting.

John Vere

So I go to make a tutorial about Session drummer and it crashes Sonar. Fine, As a person who likes to help improve the product I use the help menu and " report a problem"  and it opens up a form you fill in. Fine. Note this is very different from  the contact support form on the web page. 

One of the questions is is this issue repeatable in CbB?   Yes, No?  How do I answer that?  I don't have CbB installed. Why is it assuming I do? 

If you submit using the Contact support method, on the website you can directly attach the crash dump files to the form.  The Help menu one asks for a "link" ?? 

So your software crashes, I go to the bother of trying to report it and now I not only have to dig around for the Crash dump I'm also expected to put it on Google drive and so on? 

This is almost as bad as trying to report issues with Cakewalk Next. I reported a bug  which another member here verified was repeatable. I still see the bug 4 months later and my report on Discord has never been acknowledged. 

Bandlab- SUPPORT IS IMPORTANT! Put a little time into making it seamless and user friendly.  

So possibly the addition of the reporting method that is built into the Help menu needs a lot of work yet.

Edited by John Vere

The crash dialog and/or dump text identified Session Drummer as the faulting module, explicitly? I have never seen that, and I've run quite a few old projects in Sonar that used it.

I agree Bandab should provide a  method to upload large dump files directly, but I don't get too aggro about having to use my own share (OneDrive).

Posted (edited)

The problem as I see it is probably very few people will bother reporting because its way to time consuming the way it is. 
I most certainly don’t. 
After I spent hours trying to troubleshoot the TTS-1 issues and  submitted dozen or more dumpfiles. All I got back was open in safe mode??? 
Why. The projects were just fine. You just couldn’t insert TTS-1. I felt like whoever it was answering me didn’t get it! 

Shortly after they removed the TTS-1 anyway. 

This is the second  crash I’ve had with Sonar. 
I submitted this one and last one with out the dump file asking what they excepted me to do? Never heard nothing so therefore my question. Is it all a waste of my time? Is the submission in the help menu going no where? Should I use the old method? 

I will look at the details of the dump file. I say Session Drummer because it’s the only thing in a brand new project. I hadn’t even saved it yet.  I’ve been working Sonar  hard for over a month and it’s been solid. 

Edited by John Vere

Once I figured out how to find the offending module in the dump files and when I determine it isn't Cakewalk, I don't send in issues or files. 

And we have to pay to do any real testing. To do any real testing you have to use it for a long period of time. I'm not going to spend any time digging into it if I can't save my work. Why bother.

Edited by Terry Kelley

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

I think it’s auto save! 

Bingo! This is a known issue with CbB too. My every attempt trying to use Autosave in CbB has ended in a guaranteed crash - haven't trying it with Sonar. Think I should try it out. 

FWIW: Session drummer run smooth on myside in Sonar. I can't tell you why Vegas is crashing, I use Premiere.  

Thanks to @pwal³  for the link to the WinDbg app. I have never looked at a dump file before.

The ones for CbB are all showing either TTS-1 or Kontakt. 

The TTS-1 I'm aware of and then I just went ahead and uninstalled all of Native instruments apps and the product manager.   I didn't find any use for it other than the Steel Drums which is what started all that in the first place. 

The one Sonar crash dump that started this thread only points at Sonar exe. So I don't think it was Session drummer now that I can look inside the report. WHo knows what that was. It has been pretty rare for me to see a crash. But I have been installing a few new things lately.  

A very interesting find was that Motu's Digital performer crashed a few times and it looks like it's pointing at my Motu ASIO driver?? weird. Oh well i also have uninstalled Digital Performer.  You crash! You Die!  

Then I have had a lot of crashes with Magix Movie Studio and those all pointed at a VST wrapper. Vegas has always used DX like Cakewalk.  I removed all VST pathways ( I don't use them anyhow) and will see if that fixes that long standing issue. 

So thanks once again that kept me entertained for a few hours. 

• Like 2

On 4/15/2024 at 5:42 PM, John Vere said:

I opened the dump file in note pad and it’s all gibberish. 

I simply excluded Session Drummer from my plug in list. That’s what I tend to do with any plug ins that crash. 

I think they're just busting their hinies getting Sonar ready to ship.

• Like 1

• John Vere changed the title to Sonar/Next crashes and bug reporting.