FR: Remove plugin focus in the FX Bin when selecting automation nodes

petemus

This would be a fix request for this scenario:

1. Click on a plugin in the FX Bin to open the plugin UI - the white selection brackets appear around the plugin - close the plugin UI
  2. The plugin still has the focus in the FX Bin
  3. Select nodes on an active automation envelope
  4. Press Delete to delete the nodes
  5. The nodes get deleted from the envelope, but so does the plugin that has the focus in the FX Bin

Removing the plugin focus when nodes get selected for an atomation envelope would prevent this from happening. Of course also switching keyboard focus only to the envelope, if it has a concept of "being focused", would work.

Edited by petemus
Fix title

I can't reproduce this - the automation envelope automatically gets focus when I select the notes, so pressing delete only deletes the nodes.

I've tried this both by drag selecting on the envelope, and individually clicking on nodes.

I also tried using a normal automation lane vs track filter in the main clip.

3 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I can't reproduce this - the automation envelope automatically gets focus when I select the notes, so pressing delete only deletes the nodes.

I've tried this both by drag selecting on the envelope, and individually clicking on nodes.

I also tried using a normal automation lane vs track filter in the main clip.

Ditto - never had this happen.

Btw, this is with the current CbB, not the new Sonar.

Happened to me again yesterday. I'll try to come up with the exact sequence where it happens. Of course undo brings the plugin back, but sometimes, in the heat of the battle, you might not notice.

Had to check it out right away, so here's an exact sequence:

1. Go to a bus in the Track View
  2. Select an automation envelope from the menu at the top of the bus pane so it becomes editable (the automation lanes are not open here)
  3. Click a plugin in the FX bin, leave the UI open or close it (the white focus brackets remain around the plugin label in the FX Bin)
  4. Select automation envelope nodes, either with the left or right mouse button
  5. Press Delete on the keyboard
  6. The plugin with the focus brackets is now gone from the FX Bin. If the envelope is not for that particular plugin, the nodes you thought you'd delete, remain. If the envelope was for the said plugin, the envelope goes with the plugin.

It's not an intermittent thing, happens every time with this sequence.

Seems to happen in the Track side as well, especially when you select envelope nodes by lassoing then with the right mouse button.

If I remove the focus from the plugins in the FX Bin prior to pressing Delete, the peration only deletes the nodes. 

Unfortunately I tend to often open, say, a bus compressor UI and then start editing the threshold automation. Deleting any node with delete zaps the compresseor as well from the FX Bin, if I'm not careful. 😁

7 hours ago, petemus said:

Had to check it out right away, so here's an exact sequence:

1. Go to a bus in the Track View
  2. Select an automation envelope from the menu at the top of the bus pane so it becomes editable (the automation lanes are not open here)
  3. Click a plugin in the FX bin, leave the UI open or close it (the white focus brackets remain around the plugin label in the FX Bin)
  4. Select automation envelope nodes, either with the left or right mouse button
  5. Press Delete on the keyboard
  6. The plugin with the focus brackets is now gone from the FX Bin. If the envelope is not for that particular plugin, the nodes you thought you'd delete, remain. If the envelope was for the said plugin, the envelope goes with the plugin.

It's not an intermittent thing, happens every time with this sequence.

Seems to happen in the Track side as well, especially when you select envelope nodes by lassoing then with the right mouse button.

If I remove the focus from the plugins in the FX Bin prior to pressing Delete, the peration only deletes the nodes. 

Unfortunately I tend to often open, say, a bus compressor UI and then start editing the threshold automation. Deleting any node with delete zaps the compresseor as well from the FX Bin, if I'm not careful. 😁

I am running CbB 2024.02 (Build 098, 64 bit). I tried the sequence you listed and reproduced the issue.

In Track View, I added Sonitus EQ to the FX bin of a bus. I have some automation for Bus Input Gain, so I selected Bus Input Gain in the edit filter for the bus. I did not open the automation lane. I clicked the EQ plug-in to select it, and the brackets appeared around it, indicating that it was selected. Then I clicked a node in the automation. The node became highlighted, indicating that it was selected. I pressed the Delete key, and the EQ plug-in was deleted, but the node I selected in automation was not deleted, and was still selected. I pressed Delete a second time, and the node was deleted normally, and the EQ plug-in was still missing from the FX bin.

The same thing happened when I used an automation lane instead of setting the edit filter.

For me, this behavior happens only for buses in Track View, not for tracks in Track View.

• Like 1

Glad to hear I'm not going senile here (yet). 😂

I could get it to happen for tracks in the Track View as well, but I think it was when selecting nodes with lassoing them with the right button. Not as certain to happen there as for the buses.

Maybe it's only with my workflow, but a bit annoying still.

Removing the plugin focus when left/right clicking in the envelope area would solve this quite nicely, I think. I didn't try deleting the selected nodes from the context menu - it might leave the plugin intact that way. But, as said, I like using the keyboard...

• petemus changed the title to FR: Remove plugin focus in the FX Bin when selecting automation nodes