MIDI without a device

Is it posible to play midi tracks without a device? I created a midi track, placed some notes but there is no sound, so I guess I need a midi driver.

If I go to Prefereces > MIDI > Devices there is nothing there.

Any help? 

Basically, all I want is to be able to create a MIDI file by placing notes in the piano roll and choosing an instrument for it.

Since this is an extremely rudimentary query, I would suggest that you learn a little about DAW's & CW in particular starting HERE.

You will need an instrument to play back the MIDI data, like the TTS-1 (if you have it) or any other general MIDI synth. The GM (General MIDI) synth is no longer available in Win10, so you will need to DL something to play back the notes. Did you DL the included Cakewalk instruments using the CW Product Center?

Untitled.png.e77fc79e543a7641caa03bc290384ac4.png

If you don't have an external MIDI device (Keyboard/Pads controller) then nothing will show up in the MID Devices section of the Prefs. Or you could use the Virtual Controller to input notes too.
image.png.96f2ec39bb062a3879db9674db7e528d.png

There is also a long discussion of free VST instruments in this THREAD.

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Great Idea 1

You really should go through the last set of videos from John Vere (my last post) to familiarize yourself with what a DAW is/does, and how to get around in CW. He has done a tutorial on nearly every aspect of the program. It will take too long to try to explain how to fix your issue until you have a basic understanding of the application.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

16 hours ago, Toack Fodai said:

Is it posible to play midi tracks without a device? I created a midi track, placed some notes but there is no sound, so I guess I need a midi driver.

If I go to Prefereces > MIDI > Devices there is nothing there.

Yes, you can play midi note data on a software synth without having any MIDI Output devices selected.

Preferences > MIDI > Devices > Outputs = hardware ports connected to MIDI devices that receive and play MIDI data

16 hours ago, Toack Fodai said:

Basically, all I want is to be able to create a MIDI file by placing notes in the piano roll and choosing an instrument for it.

You can enter MIDI data in several different ways, including using the piano roll.  

Preferences > MIDI > Devices > Inputs = hardware ports connected to MIDI devices that send MIDI data

Edited by User 905133

7 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

TTS-1 is your best option for this-it has all the GM instruments. You definitely should have it. UNLESS you are talking about the NEW SONAR, it was removed!

Look at the screen shot.