Adding additional hard drives.

PC Win 10. Hard drive is not filled up yet. Needing storage for future Kontakt instruments and pluigins. The idea is to use a docking station and run some SSD drives from it. Is this a good option? Thank you.

OutrageProduction - Tower. There are two or three drives in there now, if that helps?  So if there is no more space on the drives,don't go with a docking station go with something else?

I don't if anything has changed with nvme but you loose a SATA port for each one unless that has changed.

I'm not a fan of putting all of my eggs in one basket with storage. I prefer more 2TB SSD drives than say a large 8TB.  I still install SATAs because it's easier.

But when you have 3 systems adding SSDs gets expensive,  

Since I got the Musio deal I bought a portable nvme just for it. 

There are docks that once you pay for them do you have any money left for drives? 

I speak from a budget perspective. 

I have all of my SATA ports used up.  I still keep HDDs and a DVD drive. 

It's nice to put Komplete or IK Total Studio on a SSD drive but you have to assess what are you going to use from them?

I start to think of drive management much differently these days.  

nvme are quite fast but my life isn't dependent on it and a SATA SSD works for me as internal drives.  As for portable I'll go with nvme.

On 4/7/2024 at 4:57 PM, cwdesigns said:

PC Win 10. Hard drive is not filled up yet. Needing storage for future Kontakt instruments and pluigins. The idea is to use a docking station and run some SSD drives from it. Is this a good option? Thank you.

I have a mother board that can accommodate 4 SSD and 2 NVME hard drives.  1 SSD drive is dedicated to Kontakt only and when I installed kontakt, I set an install path to that drive.  Everything Kontakt goes to that 6 TB Hard Drive only.  You can set and external HD for Kontakt as well, just make sure it's large enough for what may happen in the future if you dicide to upgrate to a larger version of Kontakt.