Audio Engine drop outs - can anyone reproduce?

Sal Sorice

Question

I'm still having audio engine dropouts when using Toontrack products (EZdrummer, Bass, Keys) as described in this thread:

The problem persists in the latest build of Sonar. Not sure if it's a Toontrack issue or a Sonar issue.

I've also noticed that if you load a new project template (mine or a stock one), the audio engine will stop if you just hit the spacebar. This did/does not occur in CbB,

Can anyone reproduce this? I'm wondering if there is an underlying issue with my installation that can be causing the dropouts.

9 answers to this question

48 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

only toontrack products? 🤔

Those are the only ones I've noticed it on where it occurs regularly. Getting the dropout when opening a new, empty project and pressing spacebar is a new phenomenon.

2 hours ago, pwal³ said:

does yr "empty" prj template include any toontrack stuff?

Empty project has no Toontrack stuff. Also, just loading a stock template, pressing spacebar will kill audio engine.

28 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Track View > Options > Stop at Project End

David, not sure what you mean by this...

There is an option at the bottom of the Options tab of the Track View submenu called 'Stop at Project End' that will cause the behavior described in a new, empty project where the 'End' is effectively at 1:01:000. If you disabled it, the transport will run in an empty project. I always leave it disabled.

Edited by David Baay

10 minutes ago, David Baay said:

There is an option at the bottom of the Options tab of the Track View submenu called 'Stop at Project End' that will cause the behavior described in a new, empty project where the 'End' is effectively at 1:01:000. If you disabled it, the transport will run in an empty project. I always leave it disabled.

Thanks David - that worked to prevent the drop out on an empty project. That quirk was just something I noticed, but I still have no idea why the audio engine craps out so often with the Toontrack products - or whether it's Toontrack or Cakewalk/Sonar that causes the issue. I'm tagging @Noel Borthwick and @msmcleod to see if they can offer any insight, or of there is anything I can test for them to try and figure out why the Toontrack dropouts happen so often/predictably. 

i can reproduce the EZD 3 (3.0.6) issue - the audio engine drops if i drag the MIDI from a track, but does NOT drop if i drag from the browser. the EZB (1.1.8) - cannot reproduce issue - works either way.

note: this is a new completely blank project. EZD and ESB inserted in synth rack - one audio, one MIDI track per each. same MIDI content from track and browser.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

6 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i can reproduce the EZD 3 (3.0.6) issue - the audio engine drops if i drag the MIDI from a track, but does NOT drop if i drag from the browser. the EZB (1.1.8) - cannot reproduce issue - works either way.

note: this is a new completely blank project. EZD and ESB inserted in synth rack - one audio, one MIDI track per each. same MIDI content from track and browser.

Thanks Glenn for testing. I'll do more testing tomorrow and post my findings.