Cakewalk freezing not responding

Michael Byrne

Question

So, I have a high end pc build. I’ve used cakewalk successfully in past. Today I opened it, selected monitoring of one track for guitar, went to select the output series on the track(L, R, etc etc) and Cakewalk keeps freezing(Not Responding message). Had zero plugins ran, and I have 456G of space available on computer. I closed it and restarted program and nothing changed. Ran cleaners and restarted computer and still won’t stop freezing with nothing going on.

3 answers to this question

What have you tried so far?  Because you say “zero plugins ran” - we can likely rule out plugins.

I am assuming you have already tried updating all of your drivers ( video drivers as well as audio interface).  I am also assuming you went to the actual websites to check for updates rather than simply rely on Windows Updates or vendor driver managers for this.

When the freeze happens, can you still use the mouse?  If not, then you might be looking at a hardware issue (maybe graphics card)

Also check your CPU temperature.  There are many utilities for this.

Are you using the ASIO driver for an on-board Realtek audio device?  This is known to cause Cakewalk to freeze.  

ASIO4ALL can also cause similar problems.

The fix is to switch to WASAPI - either WASAPI Exclusive for low latency, or WASAPI Shared to enable you to continue using your audio device with other applications while Cakewalk is running.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 2:30 PM, Michael Byrne said:

I have a high end pc build

When seeking help for issues like this, you'll get faster and better answers if you post your actual PC specs. For an example, look at my sig.

The most important ones are what audio interface you're using and what video card. I'm sure you have plenty of RAM and a fast CPU, but it doesn't hurt to post those as well.