Starting a Linux based DAW

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

As for Pro Tools if you wanna work with the big boys you better know how to use it,  They are the industry standard

If I ever decide I want to jump into the thriving job market for commercial studio employment, I'll be all over Pro Tools.

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

Read Jim's post over and over again.

You seem to have mistaken me for someone who disagrees with you/him. He summed up my experiences and opinions pretty much perfectly.

I'm merely following it up with saying that even Studio One for Linux is unlikely to turn the tide, and when it doesn't, the Linuxoids will have even fewer excuses for Linux failing to penetrate the DAW market.

Linux is by far (IMO) the best choice for a server, and it's great for complex embedded solutions.

It can get by pretty well as a simple desktop solution if you're happy using Open Office/Libre Office or doing some web browsing - but good luck getting your printer to work, unless you're happy to compile/install some home-grown printer drivers.

As a DAW platform, just don't bother - it's really not worth the hassle, and there are zero benefits.

• Like 1

I bought an Atari 1040 St I guess it was 1986. I paid $1,400 for it. I brought it home and turned it on. I had never used a computer before so wasn’t sure what to expect. You could move this pointer thing around with the mouse. I might have done that for 15 minutes. 
But what does it do? Nothing it would seem. 
Later  I learned I had to purchase software on floppy disks to do anything.  Otherwise it just sat there doing nothing. 

Many years goes by and my son tells me I should try Linux Ubuntu. 
I installed it and it sat there staring back at me doing nothing? What do you do with this? This is like going back 30 year to the Atari? 

Say what you will about Apple, Windows and even Android. At least you can do something with them. 
Oh Waveform is a great DAW. Try it— it is  absolutely free.It will be what will replace Cakewalk for people who need free. 

20 minutes ago, John Vere said:

my son tells me I should try Linux Ubuntu. 
I installed it and it sat there staring back at me doing nothing? What do you do with this? This is like going back 30 year to the Atari?

The last time I did an Ubuntu build it came with more bundled software than Windows 10 does, mostly in the form of LibreOffice.

What do you do with a freshly-built Windows system? I get busy installing whatever software I want to use.

In this way, Windows and Ubuntu aren't that much different, it's just that when I go to install the apps on Windows, there are more and better ones available.

Apple were really the first suppliers of personal computers to understand that people want to start doing things right away and may not have known that you need software other than the OS to do anything, so they bundled a word processor and a paint program with the Mac.

On 4/10/2024 at 10:03 AM, Glenn Stanton said:

why can't it be a tax write off and to get them to shut up? win-win...  🙂 

That's not exactly a good way to satisfy investors and the owners, and the opportunity costs are pretty high for such a deviation of resources (along with the management distraction).