Metronome recorded on my track

Hi guys, 

So bascially when I record an audio track with the metronome, I can hear it during playback. I don't have the option "Metronome during playback" turned on, and I know it's not that because when I turned it on, I then heard two metronomes. I've read in some places it could be a "bleed" but I'm not really sure what that exactly means or how to go about that

I'm using the Alesis Multimix 4 USB FX interface. 

How are your recording and monitoring (e.g. microphone and headphones)? And how loud is the metronome in the recorded signal? If it's faint, it may well be due to poor isolation of analog circuits. inside the interface.  Or it could be getting picked up by a mic from acoustic "bleed" in the room.  But if it's loud, it's likely the setup of the interface is routing output to the input internally. Check the manual for a "What U Hear" or "Stereo Mix" input option for recording output from the PC. You don't want that; the input source needs to be Line/Mic In.

41 minutes ago, Max Arwood said:

Is it possible the the metronome was loud enough to bleed into the audio track? What were you recording?

I was recording my voice

14 minutes ago, David Baay said:

How are your recording and monitoring (e.g. microphone and headphones)? And how loud is the metronome in the recorded signal? If it's faint, it may well be due to poor isolation of analog circuits. inside the interface.  Or it could be getting picked up by a mic from acoustic "bleed" in the room.  But if it's loud, it's likely the setup of the interface is routing output to the input internally. Check the manual for a "What U Hear" or "Stereo Mix" input option for recording output from the PC. You don't want that; the input source needs to be Line/Mic In.

The metronome is loud, it's not faint in the background. Where can I check that manual?

https://7132afa424c2f1a2ab6d-54d68a14e2e7c1f76563a2d8c3e9fd82.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/954/documents/MultiMix 4 USB FX - User Guide - v1.6.pdf

I don't see anything offhand that could be causing this issue, except possibly this:

15. EXT/USB to Main: Engage this switch to route the audio from the "Ext In" input and USB audio from the computer to the mixer's Main Outs and Phones Out. 

Do you have anything plugged in to the EXT input?

Edited by David Baay

Try disengaging that button and recording something even though you can't monitor it and see if you still get click in the recording. Also verify that you actually see the click transients in the recorded clip waveform; if not, that's not where it's coming from on playback.

Also, If you're using the "Optional ASIO4ALL" driver, try switching the driver mode in CbB to WASAPI or even WDM. If either of those works, you should just uninstall ASIO4ALL; it's just a wrapper for WDM and can be problematic.

Edited by David Baay

Well, if I disengage the button then I won't be able to hear anything. That button needs to be pressed in order to use the interface with the DAW. I do see the waves coming in from the metronome, and I am already using WASAPI

I just had a look at the web page. It has way too much against it as an audio interface. It actually breaks most of the rules. 
First- No ASIO driver 

Second- 44.1 / 16 recording quality the lowest standard. 

The USB return has no level control but it sort of looks like it can be sent to the headphones. You definitely don’t want it going to the Main outputs as for sure that would create the Loopback. 

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you would have been making music a long time ago if you had a proper interface. 

Edited by John Vere

14 minutes ago, John Vere said:

The USB system might have only been intended to be used for live board mixes and computer playback. 

I suspect this is right. And I have to agree with John that any interface that doesn't have native ASIO drivers and 24-bit converters is pretty much a non-starter. If it's not too late, I'd suggest you return the Alesis and get one of the more popular audio interfaces from Focusrite, MOTU, Presonus, Roland, UAD, etc. if your budget it tight, buy used.

Ok....

I just want to cover some obvious points. 

In track view

Toggle Shift +B

You should see your busses... one will be metronome 

Turn it down. 

Does this help? 

Thanks David for your back up. I honestly hate to see people struggling with audio systems as it is the biggest roadblock when trying to use a Computer to record audio ( unless you own a Mac?  But there’s a simple solution that being a proper audio interface. 

Edited by John Vere

On 4/1/2024 at 9:30 PM, David Baay said:

I suspect this is right. And I have to agree with John that any interface that doesn't have native ASIO drivers and 24-bit converters is pretty much a non-starter. If it's not too late, I'd suggest you return the Alesis and get one of the more popular audio interfaces from Focusrite, MOTU, Presonus, Roland, UAD, etc. if your budget it tight, buy used.

I can't return it lol, I've had it for like 4 years 

In general, it doesn't really seem like there's much else wrong with it. When I know how to use Cakewalk, everything seems fine. I also didn't always have that metronome issue, I must've done something but all in all, to me it doesn't seem bad. I can record audio and it sounds okay to me. 

15 hours ago, Jenna said:

I also didn't always have that metronome issue

That's a key piece of information, and promising, but I'm not sure what to do with it since there doesn't seem to be any relevant setting on the interface and the only way CbB can record its metronome internally is via a Send from the Metronome bus to an Aux track which isn't something you'd be likely to set up accidentally or forget about when troubleshooting.

To understnad better where the problem lies, I suggest the following:

- Check if it happens with a new project started from the Basic template with no input plugged into the interface.

- Check if it happens with the Alesis interface disconneted/powere down and CbB using onboard sound via WASAPI.

- Set up the Alesis with a free/demo version of another DAW and see if the problem reproduces.

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

That's a key piece of information, and promising, but I'm not sure what to do with it since there doesn't seem to be any relevant setting on the interface and the only way CbB can record its metronome internally is via a Send from the Metronome bus to an Aux track which isn't something you'd be likely to set up accidentally or forget about when troubleshooting.

To understnad better where the problem lies, I suggest the following:

- Check if it happens with a new project started from the Basic template with no input plugged into the interface.

- Check if it happens with the Alesis interface disconneted/powere down and CbB using onboard sound via WASAPI.

- Set up the Alesis with a free/demo version of another DAW and see if the problem reproduces.

Okay, thank u so much!