Cakewalk / Helix Native / Chocolate Midi Foot Controller = No sound

guitarzan007

Question

Hi.

I'm trying to use a Chocolate Midi Foot Controller to change the SnapShots in Helix Native.  The good news is (after following a Youtube video very closely) I got the pedals to change the snapshots.  The bad news is I've got no sound!  Argh!  If I just put in a regular audio track and turn on  "Input Echo"  the sound plays through me UR22 Audio Interface and sounds great, but when I do the "split instrument track" setting (so I can use the foot switches) no sound comes out.  Please help!

I'm using Windows 10, a Steinberg UR22 USB Audio Interface, and of course Cakewalk and Helix Native.

Here's what I did, and what I'm seeing:

1) I created an Instrument track in Cakewalk and for the instrument I chose VST3/Line6/Helix Native. 

2) For Input, I'm using "USB -Midi /Midi Channel 1"  The other options it gives me are: All Inputs, 2-Steinberg UR22-1. or Virtual Controller.

3)  In the Advanced setting, I chose "Split Instrument Track".  At the bottom of the 'Add Track" window, the Output is listed as "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO: UR22"

4) Within the Helix Window, I chose VST and make sure Enable Midi is checked.  Note- It is greyed out, but it is checked.

5) I then clicked Plug in properties and make sure the boxes are checked for "Enable as Plug-in" and " Configure as Synth"

It seems like I must have something wrong with it going from the UR22, but I'm not sure what, or where I would change that. Either that, or I'm just missing a simple step in Cakewalk.  Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, I'd really appreciate it.  I spent all day trying to solve this and got nowhere.

Just for reference, here is the Youtube video I followed. 

From what I can tell, the ONLY thing I'm doing differently than the Youtube video is that they are using bluetooth for their controller and I'm using a USB cable.  Since the switches are doing what they are supposed to, I'm assuming that isn't the problem.   Thanks again!!!

5 answers to this question

I don't think you want to create an instrument track for Helix native. It is an effect not a source of audio. You would create an audio track, record some audio, like a guitar, then add helix as an effect in the effect bin,

You could then control Helix native with midi to switch snapshots, pedals etc.

That's what I though initially, but when I tried doing it that way,  it wouldn't let me control the Snapshots correctly.   When I researched how to do this in various DAWS, several sources talked about creating a midi track and then routing it through the audio track (which is completely new to me). .  When I researched how to do this in Cakewalk, I came across the video that I mentioned.  

Following the video's instructions,  it just seems like there is no audio input from an  audio interface in the chain at all.  I feel like I'm either not understanding something, or the directions are a little off.

For amp modelers you add them as fx on an audio track. If you want to use a midi controller you need to add a midi track. In the Helix native plugin enable midi input. The input on the midi track will be the midi controller and set the output to Helix native.

• Like 1