Does anyone here use Goran Grooves midi files with Cakewalk?

I posted about my issue back in 2022 and no one responded. It makes me wonder if no one is using Goran Grooves midi files with Cakewalk.

Here's the issue:  When I drag and drop a Goran Grooves type 0 or type 1 midi file into a track, the file splits into multiple midi files - which is a

confusing mess.  I contacted both Goran Grooves and Cakewalk back in 2022 and received some encouragement that Cakewalk was working on a solution.

In more recent communication, it appears to have slipped through the cracks.

Cakewalk-GoranGroovesIssue.jpg.a7e20fdeaa473fd94c6ed1a00a070b6f.jpg

If anyone is using Goran Grooves midi files successfully with Cakewalk - Please let me know your secret. 😁

thanks. i get the same behaviour - the kick produces 8 empty tracks + 1 with the notes. and definitely has the type 0 flag. the hats produce the expected number of separate tracks and is type 1.

the kick MIDI only has the 1 track marker, and i'm not seeing in Hex editor what is causing the additional tracks. then again i'm not a MIDI format expert by any means... 🙂 

MIDI files from DRUMTRAX do the same thing as the Goran files, whereas Groove Monkee MIDI imports as expected. type 0 single track, type 1 however many tracks.

@msmcleod any thoughts on why some MIDI files are causing the extra track inserts?

COU_192 is DRUMTRAX (generates extra tracks)

COU_192.MID

It's because of the way Cakewalk imports (or opens) type 0 MIDI files (which these groove MIDI file are).

The MIDI events in Type 0 MIDI files are all one track.  When Cakewalk imports type 0 MIDI files, any MIDI Events that are set to different MIDI channels, get split to their respective MIDI tracks. 

The MIDI events in these MIDI grooves are all on MIDI channel 10.  Because of this, Cakewalk create a MIDI track 10 to correspond to the MIDI events in these grooves.   It has to create MIDI tracks 1 to 9 to fill the gap.  Numerically and ordinally, you cannot start at the 10th track.

The reason for MIDI channel 10 for these grooves is because back in the day of Roland GM/GS (and Yamaha XG) , MIDI channel 10 was usually reserved for the percussion track.

I converted these to type 1 MIDI files which, when opened in Cakewalk, created a single track and then set that track’s MIDI channel to 10.   No other MIDI tracks were created.

• Like 1

ok, so this sounds like a fix might be needed to accommodate MIDI type 0  - create the only the required number of MIDI tracks and set the respective channels. 🙂

and/or get the vendors to stop using channel 10 (or any other channel in a single channel type 0 other than say channel 1).  although in the latter case, there may be dependencies by vendors where their products require it for proper operation due to legacy code...

also sounds like an intermediate project should be used to convert the MIDI files or simple expand them into clips, rather than dragging them into the main project, maybe create a blank project, drag your clips into it, then copy & paste the desired MIDI clips into the main project.

I actually prefer the way Cakewalk handles Type 0 MIDI files.  Maybe a setting in the TTSEQ.INI file to do what you are asking.

FWIW, maybe put in a feature request, you can do so here:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/8-feedback-loop/

Note: Even though CbB is no being developed and no new features are being added, the Bakers might still look in here for candidates to add to the new Sonar.

Until then, simply convert to type 1.

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

I actually prefer the way Cakewalk handles Type 0 MIDI files.  Maybe a setting in the TTSEQ.INI file to do what you are asking.

FWIW, maybe put in a feature request, you can do so here:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/8-feedback-loop/

Note: Even though CbB is no being developed and no new features are being added, the Bakers might still look in here for candidates to add to the new Sonar.

Until then, simply convert to type 1.

I'm not familiar with converting a midi file.  Is this easy to do?

29 minutes ago, Eric Parsons said:

I'm not familiar with converting a midi file.  Is this easy to do?

Very.

I used GNMIDI to convert these groove files.

However, if you don't have GNMIDI,  Cakewalk can do it. 

Simply open these groove files in Cakewalk (open, not import). 

Delete the surplus tracks (1 to 9), so that the MIDI Events are on MIDI track 1. 

Change the MIDI channel of the MIDI track if necessary.

Then Save as MIDI type 1.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Solution!

I just received this email from Goran Grooves today.  The fix works!!!

Hi Eric,

I heard from developers of Cakewalk a while back that they were working on a bug fix regarding this issue.

I think the reason is this: our loops were originally exported as type 1 with a couple of tracks in them. They were then batch converted to type 0, which should behave strictly as a single tracks when imported into DAWs. Cakewalk was actually creating multiple tracks for type 0 MIDI and not for type 1 in some instances.

Anyhow, we have cleaned up, re-exported and re-organized all of our MIDI loops. They are now strictly single tracks. They should import as such into Cakewalk.

Please download the v2 from your GoranGrooves Library account. You were automatically updated.

Let me know how they work for you.

Goran Rista
Drummer Producer/ Founder of GoranGrooves

• Like 2