Why can't I hear anything in Cakewalk? (Not the vocals, not the metronome, and not the virtual piano) - Solved!!!

plus you have your output as speakers and trying to listen on headphones, 

whole thing looks abit un-orgainised,

I would try turning off your laptop, disconnecting your equipment, replugging in your piano by usb, leave the interface unplugged, and see if your piano shows in your output preferences as yamaha and use that with you headphones connected to your laptop or keyboard.

I have the output audio selected as speakers because the other option just plays out of my computer speakers. I have headphones plugged into my USB audio device. It was working fine like that before. 

I have tried to plug and disconnect everything and my piano isn't connect right now. The bigger issue is that I can't hear through my headphones what I've already recorded. 

28 minutes ago, John Vere said:

That information is wrong,, You most certainly can have both a Midi and Audio device connected . A million people do this.     Did you not see my post? There is probably nothing wrong with the OP midi /USB connection as Yamaha has very good midi drivers which hopefully the OP is using and not the generic windows driver. The OP is trying to use Asio4all which we all know is doomed to failure . Alesis is one of those very few  companies that does not make recommended audio interfaces. Come to think of it?  What do they make any more that anyone would recommend ( sorry that belongs on Gear Space)  End of story.  Here's the   solution_  https://youtu.be/YcDGKuBJ2VI

You are right of course a million people have different things connected by usb at the same time, interfaces as monitoring devices and midi devices as inputs, but if the input signal is not recognised or set incorrectly in the preferences you won't hear anything on the output,   an output of a silent or incorrect input won't work..

I didn't see anything that would keep cakewalk for sending audio to your sound card. 

1) You don't get sound on the Alesis from your speakers or the headphone jack right?
2) Do the meters light up on the Alesis when you press play in Cakewalk?

These are the differences in my settings and yours->
AUDIO

Devices - look good

Driver Settings - look good - You might try higher 
Buffer 128 or 256 if the computer is occasionally 
stopping or stuttering (This might eliminate  problems with larger projects)

Playback and recording This won't help you get sound, but it is a good idea.
Remove DC Offsett During Record

Configuration file - Neither of these will help make the sound work
DropoutMsec 512
BounceBufSizeMsec 40

Sync and caching - This might make a difference, but probably not. You could try these.
Maintain Current Clock and wait for time code
Playback I/O 512

If none of these work,  go to Views / Console
Please screen capture the entire screen
Be sure to showing the Speaker 2 out and the Line (2- USB AUDIO CODEC)

I guess till someone figures this out, you could plug your headphones into your laptop and monitor from there.

By the way - Very nice piano!

Edited by Max Arwood
Error
  • Like 1

Just to be sure, is the Alesis Multimix 4 USB FX's "EXT/USB TO MAIN" button pressed?
According to the manual, it appears that you need to press that button to route the sound from the PC to the mixer.

• Like 3

OMG IT WORKED!!! Thank you guys so so so much! 

I did already have the EXT/USB TO MAIN button pressed, but it didn't actually work until I changed the settings!!!! Thanks!!

• Like 3

• Jenna changed the title to Why can't I hear anything in Cakewalk? (Not the vocals, not the metronome, and not the virtual piano) - Solved!!!

So the exact issue is the Playback I/O. When I changed it to 512, it worked, but when I changed it back to what I originally had it on it didn't, so yay :) 

• Like 1

You know perhaps that should be a feature request….. press a button and all the settings pop into a text file. That sure would be handy to help people with setup problems. There are so many things that can throw off even seasoned vets much less new users. New settings are even added to the configure file.