Sonar Legacy to Bandlab back to Sonar Legacy

My old legacy program worked perfectly. You talked me into the Cakewalk by Bandlab. I saved all my programs on the bandlab format. Now when I go back to Legacy, most of my programs will not work. It took me twelve hours per file to do. If I can continue to use Cakewalk by bandlab, my files will still work. I don’t care about more improvements. I just need my files to work. If you were going to charge at a later date, you should have made that clear with the legacy unlimited users. I am highly upset because my file will not work on the legacy side since saving on the Bandlab side. Fix my problem so my files will work on Legacy and all will be good. If you can fix my problem my band is going to be down. I am not putting 12 hours times 48 songs time into redoing all my files. That is 576 hours to fix my files. If I had never saved my files to the Bandlab format, I would not have a problem now. To be truthful with you, I could not tell a difference between the two programs except that my saved Bandlab files would not longer work in the Legacy side. As long as I use the Bandlab program, all my files work. What you need to do now is update the legacy to the free version of bandlab so all my files will continue to work.  This would solve all my problems. If the legacy owners did decide to update, what would be the cost? I am not interested in paying a monthly fee, or a big one time fee. How ever you can get my programs to work with no cost will make me happy. I don’t need any of the new program coming out, but just need the free Bandlab to continue working or fix the legacy to work with my programs. I have a gig March 22 and I need my programs to work.

That sounds scary.

Can you describe in more detail how your projects (I assume you meant "projects" when you typed "programs") are having trouble opening in SONAR? The projects I have done in CbB open fine in SONAR, although there is a popup warning that the newer features won't be accessible. Obviously, if I use Arranger sections, those won't come across to the old program.

Although I think that being proactive is a good idea, on my systems, Cakewalk by BandLab has not stopped working, nor have BandLab announced a date after which Cakewalk by BandLab will stop working. So you should not be having any problems with CbB at your gig on the 22nd.

• Like 1

It has to be pilot error or something about your projects is very different than normal. 
I can open any of mine even in Sonar 8.5. You get a warning about some things being different and there’s no pro channel but if it crashes you use safe mode. 

Opening a CbB project in Splat  or even Home Studio works with out safe mode being needed. 
I was messing with all this a few weeks ago out of curiosity. 

Not sure why you wasting you time doing this anyway. As said CbB is expected to work for a while yet, might even be a long while. 
A few of us are campaigning to have a paid for license for the latest version just as an option. That would solve a lot of issues and stop the complaining. 
And Sonar will soon be marketed with different price points that will make it affordable for everyone. 

On 3/9/2024 at 10:34 PM, Joseph Ballew said:

My old legacy program worked perfectly. You talked me into the Cakewalk by Bandlab. I saved all my programs on the bandlab format. Now when I go back to Legacy, most of my programs will not work. It took me twelve hours per file to do. If I can continue to use Cakewalk by bandlab, my files will still work. I don’t care about more improvements. I just need my files to work. If you were going to charge at a later date, you should have made that clear with the legacy unlimited users. I am highly upset because my file will not work on the legacy side since saving on the Bandlab side. Fix my problem so my files will work on Legacy and all will be good. If you can fix my problem my band is going to be down. I am not putting 12 hours times 48 songs time into redoing all my files. That is 576 hours to fix my files. If I had never saved my files to the Bandlab format, I would not have a problem now. To be truthful with you, I could not tell a difference between the two programs except that my saved Bandlab files would not longer work in the Legacy side. As long as I use the Bandlab program, all my files work. What you need to do now is update the legacy to the free version of bandlab so all my files will continue to work.  This would solve all my problems. If the legacy owners did decide to update, what would be the cost? I am not interested in paying a monthly fee, or a big one time fee. How ever you can get my programs to work with no cost will make me happy. I don’t need any of the new program coming out, but just need the free Bandlab to continue working or fix the legacy to work with my programs. I have a gig March 22 and I need my programs to work.

i can open projects of CbB in SONAR 7! 

Only installed VST3 effects and instruments? Pre CbB don’t like that.

I fired up Sonar 8 and found it would load everything but not a single VST since they were all VST3. A quick install of VST and they loaded.

interestingly I realized I can do 99% of what I do now in C8. Now if Melodyne 5 wasn’t VST3 …

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 3:34 PM, Joseph Ballew said:

I just need my files to work.

Without other details from the OP there is not a lot that can be specifically done, but for finished work you want to be able to open in (any) DAW in the future, they should have broadcast wav file exports done on stems (both with and without FX baked in just to be safe). Offloading the tempo map as a MIDI file is also advised. With both of these done, you can load/import into numerous DAWs without much issue.

Some features just disappear on load (like VST3s if you open them before X3), but there were a few features added that make the cwp file unreadable if you go back far enough (like Aux Tracks/Patch Points). Stems/Tempo maps are universal.