How to reduce Hiss / Noise on Tail of Audio Clip

Stephen Power

Question

I'm mixing 35 audio tracks, one of them is a triangle with 3 hits. It leaves a hissing noise on the tail as it fades out.

Can you advise on what to use to reduce the hiss - and walk me through it please. I've tried the Cakewalk compressor and gate, but I'm not sure if I'm setting them correctly - I'm not experienced with using these tools. Thank you.

p.s. I can't remove or replace the track - the mix is for a competition and all the tracks (35 in total) need to be in place.

Edited by Stephen Power

5 answers to this question

this is a recorded triangle - if so - then the hiss is part of the audio and to get it to trail off while reducing the hiss - you might need to pre-process it using something like RX to remove and/or attenuate the noise and/or manually edit it. depending also on the perfection needed - use a sample or synth to re-create the triangle part (think of it as "drum replacement" or "sample augmentation" 🙂 )

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

this is a recorded triangle - if so - then the hiss is part of the audio and to get it to trail off while reducing the hiss - you might need to pre-process it using something like RX to remove and/or attenuate the noise and/or manually edit it. depending also on the perfection needed - use a sample or synth to re-create the triangle part (think of it as "drum replacement" or "sample augmentation" 🙂 )

Thanks for that, I was just about to Google Izotope RX, as someone else mentioned it. I can't replace or remove the track, as it's for a competition and the tracks all need to remain in place.

2 hours ago, Stephen Power said:

I'm mixing 35 audio tracks, one of them is a triangle with 3 hits. It leaves a hissing noise on the tail as it fades out.

Can you advise on what to use to reduce the hiss - and walk me through it please. I've tried the Cakewalk compressor and gate, but I'm not sure if I'm setting them correctly - I'm not experienced with using these tools. Thank you.

p.s. I can't remove or replace the track - the mix is for a competition and all the tracks (35 in total) need to be in place.

If you have the Tape Emulator inserted on the Pro Channel, remove that module. Always remember that certain plugins try to emulate the analog hardware, so you might want to use its effect sparingly - especially that gain and mix knob. If you use such a plugin on every track its effect will become more prominent/noticeable. 

Edited by Will.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the help guys. @msmcleod The Sonitus noise gate didn't have any effect. @Will. I could see Tape Emulator on the Pro channel.

I ended up chopping the track in pieces leaving only the soundwaves, which I then faded out - I also added some reverb as @msmcleod suggested and it works well.

Edited by Stephen Power
  • Like 1