Do I need ASIO if I only use virtual instruments to record?

I learned that having an ASIO driver improves the latency or recording in music, but seems like it's only useful when recording through an audio interface or external instruments. do I really need it if I'm only beginning with just virtual instruments?

13 hours ago, freshprince69 said:

I learned that having an ASIO driver improves the latency or recording in music, but seems like it's only useful when recording through an audio interface or external instruments. do I really need it if I'm only beginning with just virtual instruments?

If you have an interface that has its own ASIO driver, then use it. There's no reason not to.

If you are basing an interface purchase on whether it has its own ASIO driver, yes yes, a thousand times yes, only get one that comes with ASIO support, and by that I don't mean ASIO4ALL.

• Like 3

On 2/27/2024 at 6:49 PM, Starship Krupa said:

If you have an interface that has its own ASIO driver, then use it. There's no reason not to.

If you are basing an interface purchase on whether it has its own ASIO driver, yes yes, a thousand times yes, only get one that comes with ASIO support, and by that I don't mean ASIO4ALL.

I don't know how to play any instruments so I don't really need to record any input that goes into my computer. Perhaps ASIO is good when I'm using speakers, but I'm new in audio production and I only want to use virtual instruments just to make everything basic.

7 hours ago, freshprince69 said:

I don't know how to play any instruments so I don't really need to record any input that goes into my computer. Perhaps ASIO is good when I'm using speakers, but I'm new in audio production and I only want to use virtual instruments just to make everything basic.

If you're exclusively using virtual instruments, samples, and loops to create your music then, no, you don't even need an external interface. WASAPI Exclusive will get you decently low latency and good sound with just your system's built-in audio CODEC (invariably Realtek, they seem to have the market for onboard hardware audio CODEC's completely monopolized).

I don't know what the problem is with getting an ASIO driver for Realtek's CODEC's. There's nothing inherently wrong with the hardware, it's even capable of doing 192K/32, 7.1 channel, S/PDIF (if the board manufacturer implements those things)  but that lack of an ASIO driver is a big deal for audio work. Why no programmer has come up with one is a mystery. Realtek shipped one for a while, but it was so buggy they pulled it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2024 at 10:49 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Realtek ASIO driver - barge pole/don't touch.

I think the problem here is not understanding computer interfaces with inboard ( in-the -box / outboard instruments)  regarding how your said, desktop / laptop .. MAC / PC / deals with it all.

Your problem seem to be  a quick fix ... IF THAT'S POSSIBLE .....Understanding of drivers with software ,... sound interfaces and Midi controllers ETC ,

...most of the guys on this website are extremely  versatile with the problems you seem to have .. ... ..BUT,  you need to  a basic understanding of your goals and said difficulties of where you would like to go with your music ... in a word experience

There's no 'easy fix' ... so check out YT for at least some understanding of where you wana  go.

Edited by Supa Reels
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2024 at 1:24 AM, Starship Krupa said:

If you're exclusively using virtual instruments, samples, and loops to create your music then, no, you don't even need an external interface. WASAPI Exclusive will get you decently low latency and good sound with just your system's built-in audio CODEC (invariably Realtek, they seem to have the market for onboard hardware audio CODEC's completely monopolized).

I don't know what the problem is with getting an ASIO driver for Realtek's CODEC's. There's nothing inherently wrong with the hardware, it's even capable of doing 192K/32, 7.1 channel, S/PDIF (if the board manufacturer implements those things)  but that lack of an ASIO driver is a big deal for audio work. Why no programmer has come up with one is a mystery. Realtek shipped one for a while, but it was so buggy they pulled it.

I tried ASIO4ALL wasn't compatible, I'm thinking of buying an audio interface and midi keyboard on a budget. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 11:21 PM, Supa Reels said:

I think the problem here is not understanding computer interfaces with inboard ( in-the -box / outboard instruments)  regarding how your said, desktop / laptop .. MAC / PC / deals with it all.

Your problem seem to be  a quick fix ... IF THAT'S POSSIBLE .....Understanding of drivers with software ,... sound interfaces and Midi controllers ETC ,

...most of the guys on this website are extremely  versatile with the problems you seem to have .. ... ..BUT,  you need to  a basic understanding of your goals and said difficulties of where you would like to go with your music ... in a word experience

There's no 'easy fix' ... so check out YT for at least some understanding of where you wana  go.

I wanted to ask if ASIO wasn't needed if you solely rely on plugins(virtual instruments) to record, because why would it affect latency if the sample music came from your PC itself? I couldn't find answers in YT or google, so I went here.

Latency also affects the time period when you press a key or pad and when the instrument sound occurs.

It can be [up to] 30+ milliseconds, but it may or may not bother you.

For many users, the internal sound device with WASAPI drivers is sufficient. 

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Like 1