(Solved) Steinberg ASIO driver Can't Be Changed

I updated to the new version yesterday. Before the update, Cakewalk was set to use the ASIO driver for my Presonus Studio 6/8 interface. I had zero problems.

After the update, I start Cakewalk, and the program is now glitching wildly, and the ASIO driver is set to the Steinberg Generic ASIO driver. I can switch to WASAPI, but I can't get Cakewalk to switch to the Presonus ASIO driver. The Presonus drivers are greyed out in Cakewalk, but work fine in every other program.

I tried deleting AUD.ini, but no change. 

Any suggestions? The only thing updated in the past week was the Cakewalk program itself.

Edited by Resonant Serpent

It is an invasive driver installed with Steinberg products.  The only way to get rid of it is in the RegEdit App. 
Local machine/software/ASIO. 
Delete all but your Presonus driver . 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

• Resonant Serpent changed the title to (Solved) Steinberg ASIO driver Can't Be Changed
3 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Did you de-select the Steinberg before trying to select the Presonus?

Yes. Even with the Generic ASIO driver unchecked, the Presonus drivers still appeared greyed out.

SOLVED: I uninstalled the Generic ASIO driver, and Cakewalk would completely lock up when booted. I then reinstalled the GA driver. Cakewalk then gave me a pop up on start telling me that the GA driver was incompatible, and gave me the option to WASAPI. I switched to WASAPI, and was then able to go in and switch to ASIO, and it immediately loaded the GA driver. This time, though, I was able to switch off the GA driver and load the Presonus ASIO driver. So, problem solved.

Why this happened? I have zero idea.

• Like 1

I’m not sure why you had that happen. I just redid a computer and part of it was installing my copy of WaveLab and Cubase.
I was aware what would happen so first thing I did was open the Reg Edit app and deleted the Steinberg driver. 
I had already installed my Motu driver and that is what both Windows and all my music apps were using. 
I do believe there’s a big reason for why we are instructed to delete these invasive drivers in the Reg edit app. Uninstalling leaves to much behind. 
The process is very straight forward. 
Other invasive driver’s include Magix and even PreSonus has a generic driver. I’m not sure if it has both proper ASIO drivers and the generic one. Seems there was a thread just last week with someone having issues and so they ended up purchasing something else. In most reviews they rate pretty low due to the quality of the pre amps. 
Here’s that other thread

Edited by John Vere

On 2/26/2024 at 8:00 AM, pwal³ said:

Why would cakewalk select a newly installed driver over the currently selected driver?
@Noel Borthwickt

The change may have been by Steinberg. I know that there were problems in the past with the GA driver, and Cakewalk specifically addressed it in an update. I had it uninstalled, but looks like it reinstalled after the last Cubase update.