"Input" selection for Scarlet 2i4 when outputting four tracks?

I have imported 4 tracks to Cakewalk. Assigned outputs to Scarlet 1, 2, 3 and 4 respectively. Switched to I/O view. But I cannot figure out how to configure the inputs for 4 outputs. In the dialog box I only see choices of L, R and stereo. What should I do please?

Screenshot 2024-02-21 152912.png

There are only 2 inputs on the Scarlett 2i4.

If you've set:
Track 1 -> Output 1,
Track 2 -> Output 2,
Track 3 -> Output 3
Track 4 -> Output 4

That's all you need to do.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to achieve though - I've got 32 inputs / 34 outputs on my interface, and I rarely use more than 2 outputs (i.e. the stereo L/R), unless I'm going out to external hardware effects and back again.

Most of the time, all tracks are set to output to the Master bus, and the master bus is set to output to outputs 1L + 2R (stereo).

The only time you need to use the additional outputs is:

- When you need a send to an external hardware effects unit
- When you have a separate (and usually different) monitor mix from your main one.

• Like 4

^^^^ Also a little higher level for clarification with this, assuming you are unfamiliar based on the OP. No offense intended by assuming this.

Inputs are only required to record audio into a project and are physical constraints of the hardware being used. Depending on which input jack you are using, that may very well be the same one for every track. It is only used when you arm/record to a track (which is how you determine when/how recording audio is achieved). If you are playing back audio only, no input is needed until it comes time to record.

Outputs are similar, not only are they constrained by the hardware (4 in your case), but you also would need something to listen to on each output you are "using." It is very common to have all tracks output to the Master Bus and that to then output a stereo pair (left and right speaker) to one piece of hardware (speakers, headphones, whatever). Unless you are doing a complicated routing, track outputs set to Master, and your listening system (the physical output jack) enabled in the Audio preferences in Cakewalk will allow you to hear all channels playing in a combined signal. You can then mute/solo as needed in your project to exclude/isolate tracks, but the audio hardware output you are actually using is the only one required (and many times never changes, is just how you want the sound to come out).

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1

Right. If you've imported the tracks, they're already there so you don't need inputs to record them into a track. In fact, I think you should set inputs to None unless you're recording into that track.
Welcome to the forum.

I could be wrong, but I think the OP is trying to set up sending to the 4 outputs and just didn't communicate clearly. Otherwise the question seems strange because the interface only has 2 inputs?  SO I'll take a shot at explaining the 4 output set up at least other people might learn something. 

First check all outputs are checked and available in preferences. 

Screenshot(386).png.493855dcc713a6b4a53871f29b29ea97.png

Then open the track output dialogue and you will see them listed there. 

Screenshot(387).png.8512ad8f981b31e8cc92bf210bffb736.png

Select output 1/2 for track 1 and 2 and then 3/4 for tracks 3 and 4. Then pan tracks 1 and 3 hard left, and tracks 2 and 4 hard right. If you don't see the pan control make sure the dialogue you see marked above as CUSTOM needs to be changed to ALL as below. Yours is set to I/O. 

Screenshot(388).png.1e506d2f3198977a30bbaa76dbc5a288.png

In this set up each track will bypass the master bus and go directly to the Hardware outputs. Often used to send to a mixer for live performance or analogue summing. 

This is OK if there are only these 4 tracks. If you want to separate an entire mix say 20 tracks,  you would then use buses as shown below. Here I have both track 1 and 2 going to Master 1-2 and tracks 3 and 4 going to Master 3-4.  They are still panned so will still go to the desired outputs. I've put a limiter on on to demonstrate the advantage of always having a master bus.

The Hardware bus strips are found on the far right and are hidden by default. You can drag them into view. 

Screenshot(391).thumb.png.51e0d65586efb4cc8f6ae9ea5f557c91.png

One small detail is Focusrite uses a software mixer ( I have the 1st Gen 6i6 ) and that can change things. Make sure the software mixer is set up for this.  One reason why I don't use the 6i6 anymore.  Setting up that thing was a nightmare. My Moto M4 and Zoom L8 it's all on the interface hardware. 

Edited by John Vere

Thanks so much for the replies. This is a very helpful forum.

I have set the outputs to: Focusrite USB ASIO output 1 L and R, and output 3 L and R. I did not realize the four mono tracks in my project were already saved in the Cakewalk project folder. I had earlier used very basic "multiplayer" software that read them directly off my local drive. Hence I was confused about the term "input". I can now see it refers to the two device inputs on the front panel.

To output all four RCA line sockets at equal amplitude where should the large  "monitor" knob set? I understand it only affects outputs 1 and 2. But is that for both the RCA and 6.5mm sockets, or only the latter? I assume the smaller knob should be full CW to "playback".

This is obviously not my specialty. Just trying to make it work for a particular application. Since someone asked, we are using this in a lab to simultaneously output four-phase test signals to generate rotational EM fields.

• Like 2

20 seconds in the user manual-

If Outputs 1 and 2 are used, Outputs 3 and 4 are free to be used for another purpose, such as connecting to an additional recording device or an additional pair of monitors. However, please note that the balanced versions of channels 1 and 2 – i.e., the signals at the two ¼” (6.35 mm) jack sockets and the unbalanced versions of channels 1 and 2 – are affected in level by the the large front panel MONITOR volume control. The signals at outputs 3 – 4 phono (RCA) sockets are at (full) fixed level, and thus if you use these for monitoring, you will have to control the volume either at source (within the DAW itself), or by adjusting the volume on an external amplifier.

Thank you for clarifying that point. So if I want all 4 RCA outputs to be line level, then I will use the monitor volume control to adjust outputs 1 and 2 to match 3 and 4 in amplitude. This can be done by viewing on an oscilloscope.

I found a copy of the 2i4 manual online, but being a non-musician the logic of having the RCA outputs separately controlled might have eluded me. All the more confusing due to the 1-2, 3-4 switch to the headphone output allowing for volume adjustment of either two sets of channels at the phones.

Anyway, I think I have a grip on it now.

Being a musician rarely qualifies you as a tech savvy person. As a matter of fact don’t even let most of them near a Mixing board.
Being a nerd who just happens to be a musician does help a little bit.

The invention of the 4 track cassette just forced some musicians into becoming nerds and they don’t like it! Computer DAW’s made it even worse. That’s why many smart musicians still use studios. 

Edited by John Vere

Being a musician rarely qualifies you as a tech savvy person...

I'll say! And the reverse is also true. I've known tech savvy folks with a profound understanding of gear who think producing actual music is just another "technical" issue. Here in Canada, the most commercially successful musical act, by far, is Long & McQuade Musical Instruments.  (For my  American friends, they are the largest gear retailer in this country. I don't think they have a presence in the USA.) - Dan