How do you overdub in bandlab?

andyriggle

Question

Hi All!

I can't figure out how to overdub on my softsynth track in band lab. When I do another take over the previous one it covers up the first one. I'm using Symphonic Orchestra patches. Any help in this would be great!

Sincerely, 

Andy

6 answers to this question

43 minutes ago, andyriggle said:

I can't figure out how to overdub on my softsynth track in band lab. When I do another take over the previous one it covers up the first one. I'm using Symphonic Orchestra patches. Any help in this would be great! [emphasis added]

Are you talking about Bandlab / Bandlab Studio (i.e., the web/smartphone app)?

• Like 2

In addition to the above, overdub recording generally references recording a new track while listening to (monitoring) previously recorded ones. Be sure to record the new material on new tracks, so your track count will go up for each instrument you record. What you have described is overwriting, not overdubbing.

• Like 2

If you are talking about Cakewalk by Bandlab , "CbB" is normally used to avoid confusion. 

If you Are using CbB , I think what you want to use is "sound on sound"  This is set up in preferences. A quick way is to right click the main Record button at the top of the screen. Choose "sound on sound".  I personally don't use seperate take lanes and do all my simple synth work on a single lane.  I reuse the same lane . This is chosen on the same page. Press record and play when you need to. You'll hear the first take and the next one will be recorded. Bad take..  just undo. One bad section ,  click , delete it and re-record.    Midi is nice for this type of recording. Nothing is recorded until you press a key and don't have to slip edit silence out to see the previous take.                ms

There are 3 recording modes you can access if you hold the mouse on the control bar record button. This opens  the preferences/ record tab. 

For some weird reason the default is comping. 

With Comping you end up with a million lanes of garbage you played badly on. Only the last take is heard but all the first takes are stacked in lanes hidden underneath until you open the lanes view of the track.

Overwrite is what it says it is and it overwrites the first take and replaces it with the new take. It’s just like the old tape decks. Except we have undo. 

This is my preference and I get annoyed when I forget to change this with new projects started with midi files which default to Comping. 
Interestingly Cakewalk Next defaults to Overwrite.  

Sound on Sound is where the 2 takes are mixed together which was another term from tape recording days . I like to use this with adding more drum parts to an existing midi track. I can’t see using for audio? 
You can still use Take Lanes in Overwrite mode. 

Edited by John Vere

6 hours ago, John Vere said:

I can’t see using for audio? 

Respectfully , I understand your concerns about not using Sound on Sound for audio recordings. But .. I use it exclusively midi and audio. It's Never been a problem for me and I'm not a one take player. I use it like a punch in and only play when it's time for the next phrase etc..  The only drawback is having to slide the starting point of when you hit record forward to uncover the previous take , and slide the ending back for the next section.  Fits my workflow and is effecient for me..     ms